Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprayskirts
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:50 am 
Yesterday was really hot, turning the lower reaches of Stewart Creek by the Smyrna Airport into a sort of green hell. I think shaded temps were in the lower nineties, and there wasn't much breeze until we approached Percy Priest lake/reservoir.

Anyway, like a genius, I wore my sprayskirt, which is an NRS with nylon deck and funnel trimmed with rubber on the sides. Really hot inside. Most of the bilgewater, ever-present bilgewater, was the runoff from Sweat-Man.

http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/album2 ... dle_Stroke

In the heat, do you all dispense with the use of sprayskirts on calm, flat waters? Are sprayskirts on calm, flat waters just a goofy, overly cautious newbie mistake?

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Admin

In my Folbots and Klepper I'll keep the deck on, but leave the detachable skirt off on calm water. On the Long Haul I keep the skirt on, but maybe leave it open a bit. I always stuff the bow and stern with flotation bags, so I don't worry too much about water getting in. The deck and the seasock always stay on the Feathercaft K1.

Post subject: Re: Sprayskirts
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Christov_Tenn wrote:
In the heat, do you all dispense with the use of sprayskirts on calm, flat waters?
Yes. Also on choppy waters without breakers or overfalls. Most folders have plenty of freeboard, and a little splash in hot weather is refreshing, not dangerous.

Hardshells -- another matter!

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject: Rotocooling works great!
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Or just pour water on yourself.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject: Skirtless
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:01 pm 
Thanks, guys - I'll be paddling skirtless for the remainder of the warm-water-weather. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 am 
Yep, not necessary, unless you're planning on rolling. Then it's necessary, hot or not, lest you become a very soggy paddler below the waist :wink:. Oh, and how can a newbie have almost three hundred posts on a folding kayak forum???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:07 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

That was a year ago, if you check the dates. He paddles nearly every day.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:29 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I know, I know this is an old thread, but this is what we use here in the south in non threatening conditions. Good sun protection, good air circulation and some good splash protection.

http://www.sealsskirts.com/prod_sr_splashdeck.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:27 am 
chrstjrn wrote:
That was a year ago, if you check the dates. He paddles nearly every day.
I wish I paddled every day, but I paddle almost every week, year-round, unless sick. Also, a lot of posts of just means I generate an excess of verbiage or have and ask a lot of questions. I've decided to change my label from "newbie" to "experienced beginner." :wink:

Looks like this is a Three-Chris-Thread?

I've been paddling skirtless in the hot weather since that hellish day on Stewart Creek. Even in heavy rain on 7/1/07, I didn't ship excessive water skirtless. And the rain felt good on a summer day.

I've thought about the Seals half-deck, but will probably save up to buy one of their full-skirts to replace the leaky, ill-fitting NRS Rec-Deck.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:06 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

From one of the Chris'....

I like my Seals half skirt as it keeps the sun off of the legs yet allows accessibility as well as breathability, has a neat little pouch and it easy to pop off and stow while underway if you want.

My wife is looking at a Seals Sneak http://www.kayakproshop.com/Seals_sneak.html

for her new Cape Horn. Its advantage is the center zipper that can open for under deck access or ventilation plus the little storage mesh pockets.

She still uses her half skirt though in the hot weather .

Chris

Post subject: Re: Skirtless
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:47 pm 
Christov_Tenn wrote:
Thanks, guys - I'll be paddling skirtless for the remainder of the warm-water-weather. :)
Wouldn't that be letting your slip show? :wink:

Here at San Juan Safaris we send everybody out with spray skirts, but we don't require them to be fitted. Actually with kids ages 5 to 7 we don't fit them to the deck at all. I've been joking with the guides that the spray skirts are actually a fat burning secret, -like wrapping one's midsection in seranwrap. :) and also I remind the guides not to forget their bilge pumps so they can pump the sweat out. :lol: I've been getting some envy here for my open cockpit.

-Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 pm 
tsunamichuck wrote:
Or just pour water on yourself.

I thought you prefered to 'roto-cool' whenever possible :? :

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 pm 
I'm sort of shopping for a better sprayskirt now. I think the Seals 1.7 should fit the E68, and I'm not sure I want to spring for a custom-made skirt from the same company.

Basically the thing is now I'm monkeying around with Greenland style paddles, I'd like to learn that static-brace thing where you put the boat on its edge and kind of stretch out sideways in the water with paddle arm extended on top of the water. Do I have a real reason for wanting to do this? Nope. Just looks cool.

I would also like to practice sculling with the boat on its edge, too. This, I think, might actually be a useful thing to learn.

Finally, having no drip rings, I've found out just how porous that NRS rec-deck is.

Chris, I had a look at that product you said Beth was interested in. Did she get it, and if so, how does it suit?

Sierra Trading Post's got a cheap Wilderness Systems branded "Sirius" skirt that I think's manufactured by Harmony. I haven't heard anything good about Harmony products.

Yeah, it's a hundred degrees in the shade here, this week, so wearing a skirt might also help me sweat off an inch or two around the waist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:00 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Chris,

Beth has not gotten that skirt yet. For now, she is using the Feathercraft skirt from her kahuna. By tightening the draw string, it fits her capehorn ok.

Actually, it has been so blasted hot here lately :oops: that neither of us have been in our boats since the end of July.

I hope it is a few degrees cooler in Tennessee!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:50 am 
I just ordered a Snapdragon Ocean Tour Reinforced. I'm guessing it'll be a lot like wearing one of those sweat-it-off-suits worn by guys on the wrestling team, but will be better for the cooler weather around here in late Fall and Winter. The folks at Seals didn't have anything they thought would fit the E68's coaming without some custom sewing... :|