Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safety light
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:14 pm 
forum fan

I am wondering if anyone has a found a way to mount a extendable pole for a safety light/florescent safety flag on a folding kayak? If so, could you share your technique with us, please. I bring a cycling headlamp but they aren't visible from 360 degrees and are not truly waterproof.

Post subject: Re: Safety light
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:32 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

donnadrury wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has a found a way to mount a extendable pole for a safety light/florescent safety flag on a folding kayak? If so, could you share your technique with us, please. I bring a cycling headlamp but they aren't visible from 360 degrees and are not truly waterproof.

Wear a helmet or hardhat and use a suction cup mounted light on top

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:07 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

"Wear a helmet or hardhat and use a suction cup mounted light on top"

Great idea, also a great way to meet people when you walk into the dockside bar wearing it...

Or, you can kick up for the high priced alternative

http://www.klepperamerica.com/fishing_pckgs.pdf

g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 pm 

The company that has kind of nailed this stuff is SCOTTY here in the states. I don't know what's over in Europe. They make a great light... I think they make the light, they certainly sell it; with extension and the Scotty fish finder mount that you can now mount just about everything on including this light and a GoPro...

http://www.scotty.com/boating-supplies-equipment/safety-equipment/safety-lights.htm

This is actually a very good question... how to mount it. Making a board to clamp onto the cockpit coaming is the first obvious thought but that won't work for a few of reasons. Mounting on the canvas deck is probably the best option. I wonder if you could make a flexible but stiff platform that could ride under the tie down straps on the back deck. It would also be nice to have it higher than 20" with a plate of some sort underneath so that the light doesn't hit the deck of the boat. This would wreak havoc with your night vision.

A handheld light is really all you need 'officially' in a kayak but a good all-around white light like the Scotty would be much better on the open water.

Surprisingly, or maybe not surprisingly, Chuck's idea of mounting it on one's head is one of the easiest solutions. Not only that, but I like to be able to really see into my beer afterwards... and knock people about as I bow in there presence.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 pm 
What about at the end of each aka? it could be screwed on top.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:09 pm 
You could try a Navisafe

http://www.navisafe.net/en/products_360.html
http://www.navisafe.net/en/products_attachments.html

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:55 pm 

Looks great and USCG approved. I had just been wondering when LEDs would hit all around white lights... this is better than what I was thinking of.

Thanks for posting, had no idea these existed. I'd like to get a set for kayak and my Whaler for backup.

Frank, one all around white light is common lighting for a small craft unless you want to put the red/green up front and white in the back.

There's still the problem of how to mount on a soft material deck.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 pm 
DLee wrote:
Looks great and USCG approved. I had just been wondering when LEDs would hit all around white lights... this is better than what I was thinking of.
Thanks for posting, had no idea these existed. I'd like to get a set for kayak and my Whaler for backup...........

On smaller boats a Red Green White lantern in the top of the mast is also ok. The above company has them .

Check also their other products, they have a lamp you can attach to your arm. For 360 degree visibilty, you'd have to buy two.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:28 pm 

Quote:
On smaller boats a Red Green White lantern in the top of the mast is also ok. The above company has them .

I saw those and will consider getting one. The problem is turning it on and off when it's mounted on the mast. If you have something like a Kayaksailer that you can easily lower and then raise back up, no big deal and it would be fantastic for that. But for guys and gals with BSDs, Klepper or similar tall rigs you would have to have the lights on all day... which wouldn't be a terrible thing... and you wouldn't be able to switch to the all-around white if you anchored for the night.

Most of us probably aren't going to be out anchoring too often though. I think having two of these lights would be great. One for the bow, red/green and then the all-around white for the stern which could be switched to the 135º setting while underway - or 360º if anchored. But really a single light on a pole that you could easily raise or lower would be the best solution. On boats with a mast hole, making a simple pole to fit would be a no brainer if you aren't sailing.

Some sort of mounting platform that can be temporarily mounted to the deck with bungees or velcro seems like it would be the answer for boats that don't have the mast hole or are sailing... probably on the rear deck.

I was thinking about the aerial antennas on cars that had the big springs on the bottom of them a while back. One of those springs with a stout pole to hold the light would be great. You could bend the thing down to turn the light on and off. When you let it go it flings back up... hopefully not launching your $60 light to sea, ha.

Mounting an all-around white on the head is still the simplest idea. ha.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:24 pm 
I saw a kayak that had a cutting board in the webbing & a suction mounted camera was stuck on that. A Navi Light would work with the goose neck or the telescopic pole. Perhaps a couple stays could be put on to keep it from wobbling. If you had the red/green facing forward and the white facing rear would only one Navi light be enough?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:16 pm 

Yes.

I'm looking at some of the actual rules on the all-round white light. More to come.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:48 pm 

gbellware wrote:
"Wear a helmet or hardhat and use a suction cup mounted light on top"

Great idea, also a great way to meet people when you walk into the dockside bar wearing it...

Or, you can kick up for the high priced alternative

http://www.klepperamerica.com/fishing_pckgs.pdf

g

A bald friend of mine stuck one on top of his head. He had a hell of a time getting it off and it left quite the hickey

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 am 
faltbootemeister

I paddle at night frequently and usually just use led glowsticks on the bow and stern, plus a cycling headlamp that really lights up the shoreline.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:55 am 
forum fan

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post!

I laughed at the idea of wearing a light on my head (tsunamichuck) , but then after watching this short video on the Navilight (as suggested by pbekkerh) I see they have an easy way to wear it on your hat!! As gbellware put it so comically -- it might be 'noticed' at dockside. We are already considered an eccentric group with our folding kayaks, so why not? haha!

Check out this short video by the Navilight people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTxR8oLoSf8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:33 pm 
I have a Navilight for my Hobiecat but haven't solved the problem with turning it on, on the top of the mast.

On my kayak I use my diving safety strobolight. I only turn it on if there are ships close by and then I place so the light points to the shipand shine in my face.
Its not legal but can be seen 1-2km away and is the international sign for a U-boat, so I expect to get the respect I deserve ;-)

PS: In Europe, if your boat is shorter than 7 meters and slower than 7 knots, you are allowed to just use a torch. Turn the light at the ship or on your boat or sails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STROBE-LIGHT-sa ... 0803602073