Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:10 am 
Hi,

Does anyone have firsthand experience with either of these units?

Does anyone have a less expensive waterproof unit that is easy to read in the daylight, has a compass, has expandable memory?

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Mike wrote:
Does anyone have firsthand experience with either of these units?
I have owned and used extensively a Map60C (no compass). For on-the-water use, the better antenna of the "x" series is not needed. Under trees, the better antenna is reputed to be a huge benefit; if I were purchasing a unit for forest navigation, I'd lay out the extra bucks for an "x" unit, but my 60C grabs signal over water quickly and reliably.

As to storage: the ability to slide in a memory card, preloaded with a region's BlueCharts (or several regions), is a real advantage of the "x" series. Two caveats:

1. A friend bought a 60Cx, and first trip, fried the whole thing because she did not quite seal the battery compartment; salt water worked its way past the seal, past the batteries, and cooked the card and the electronics. A very expensive lesson, and the scuttlebutt is that Garmin will replace such a fried unit once per customer. The non-"x" series only loses batteries if the compartment leaks.

2. The 60C has plenty of storage for any BlueChart region you might want to load into it. The only down side to the lesser memory is that if you move from one BlueChart region to another, you will have to download the new region to the unit (and this will wipe out the the previous one). You lose no waypoints.

Because Garmin is no longer making the non-"x" units, I bet you could pick up a 60C for not much money off someone upgrading.

Last comment: if your use is strictly on the water, a 76C is a handier shape, and it floats. I made a minicell platform for my 60C to overcome those deficiencies, and laid hook-Velcro on its back, for enough friction it will sit anywhere on my neoprene sprayskirt and stay put, making for easy viewing.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:44 pm 
Dave, how usable is colour display of 60C in a bright day without the backlight on? On my black-and white Legend it is not perferct, but usable. OTH, on my colour cell phone display it is largely useless without the backlight (on the old b/w cell phone it was still usable without the backlight).

And another question - have you totally turned down Aquapack bags for 60C on water, (or is it only on freshwater routes)? Using any GPS with Aquapack isn't much fun, and it may kill the unit in a hot weather, but still provides a lot of protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Alm wrote:
Dave, how usable is colour display of 60C in a bright day without the backlight on?

Very visible.

And another question - have you totally turned down Aquapack bags for 60C on water, (or is it only on freshwater routes)? Using any GPS with Aquapack isn't much fun, and it may kill the unit in a hot weather, but still provides a lot of protection.
Never use the Aquapac bags with the 60C. It is well protected from water. I do carefully rinse in fresh water each night, and use paper toweling to dry all the contacts. Has worked well for two full seasons that way.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:50 am 
S bought a 60CSx from Compuplus.com. The price was "$319" ($369 less
the $50 rebate). The unit was new and in a box. Shipping was $14.95
and increased the same with each item. Their site did not do a good
job of showing shipping options, full costs in a way that would let
you plan anc compare delivered prices with other sites. They also
charge the card before shipment. They have restrictive seeming return
policies. eMail support is SSSsslow. Phone support was pleasnt. That
being said, I bought the unit and the auto kit with CN 8 and an
additional 3 years of warranty through Mack camera for a total of $554 and have a rebate to submit.

The unit works very well. I get accuracy of as little as 8' (in the
car driving home with WAAS last night). Typical reported error
is 10'. WAAS alternately seems to increase or decrease accuracy.
Wayponts can be averaged down to below 10' routinely.

The unit is beautiful. It has good ergonomics. The 60 series feels better in
my hand than the 76 series, which is why I bought this one. There are
numerous recommendations to "try before you buy," and I couldn't agree
more. It is reported to be neutral bouyant, but I will either add a float to it or keep it in a waterproof bag on the deck.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. It is **brilliant** in direct sun, but
requires backlight use from dusk on, unless you have a headlamp on. I
placed a ShieldZone protector on it; it has the least disruption of the image of any other shield I have applied.

The electronic compass is touchy, but accurate when held level. The
pressure sensor is likewise very sensitive, but seems to hold a
calibration well. Pressure on the faceplate changes the readings. It holds presures to within 0.01 of the NOAA-reported barometric readings for my town. When changing back to "fixed elevation" mode from variable elevation, it seems to need to be re-calibrated, however.

The auto routing is fast and sometimes does or doesn't seem to be the
"most logical" logical in its choice of routes. It hasn't yet given anything arguably incorrect. It recalculates very quickly. if you go off route. It is Very Easy to see what the route is, and to see different features of it in advance and while driving.

The basemap is a joke.

City Navigator 8 seems to have all the stuff it that it should have, so far. The computer software seems simpleton. There is no sophisticaton in it. It is a shame it is not better developed in its user interface.

The Auto kit is very nice. The bean bag mount is just right.
The only thing that I outright don't like about the setup, is that the
orientation of the power cable's plug makes it Very ackward to plug
and unplug when using the holder for the mounting devices.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU>>>

All and all I am very pleased. I do not yet know what software I will
add, but I will use the unit for kayaking inland rivers and coastal
Great Lakes trips. Suggestions and reflections appreciated. I am wondering if the TOPO maps will add anything of value, compared to the the CN8 I already have, for use on the inland waters. The Blue Map has lots of detail on the coastal areas, but is expensive. Likewise, i don't know what of value it will add to the inland water use.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Mike asked: I am wondering if the TOPO maps will add anything of value, compared to the the CN8 I already have, for use on the inland waters.

The BlueCharts are likely to be useless on smaller rivers and lakes. The TOPO series is the standard for handheld GPS's and probably as good as you will get.

Check this site for more: http://gpsinformation.net/ Not sure they have a review of TOPO, but theirs is the definitive GPS site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:10 pm 
I have used both the 60CSX and the 76csx. The big difference for a kayak is that the 76 will float whereas the 60 will not. Both are waterproof.
You can download charts to the SD card or purchase a garmin card with them already on it.
The problem I have with both of them is that the screen is small and not so easy to read without specs on! Sign of age :(