Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Porting this over from another thread. Many thanks to acrosome for bringing this up.

acrosome,

I'm dead wrong in the US on the legal requirement to maintain a watch on Channel 16, and you are absolutely correct. Many thanks for updating the old, crusty ones, here! Following is the pertinent language, emphasis added by me; the requirement for recreational vessels to watch 16 apparently arose in 2004, and I missed it. The following is from this site: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/watch.htm

U.S. recreational vessels not required to carry radios, but if they do, they must be turned on and set to channel 16
Vessels not required to carry a VHF marine radio (e.g. recreational vessels less than 20m length and commercial vessels under 100 GT carrying less than 6 passengers), but which voluntarily carry a radio, must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radio is not being used to communicate. Effective 2004 if a radio is carried, it must be turned on and set to channel 16 whenever the vessel is underway.

Source: FCC 47 CFR 80.310

U.S. vessels required to carry a marine radio
U.S. vessels required to carry a VHF marine radio, such as commercial fishing vessels, must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHZ) while underway whenever the radio is not being used for exchanging communications.

Source: FCC 47 CFR 80.148

I know for a fact this requirement is widely ignored, even by power boaters, who do not have the battery life issues we do.

I do not know if the Canadian marine regs on VHF watch have changed.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:41 pm 
(as posted on another thread) Canadian Regulations (as per RIC-23) are a bit more pragmatic: "When at sea, ships voluntarily fitted with radiotelephone equipment shoudl endeavour to keep watch on the frequency 156.800 MHz (ch 16 VHF) to the greatest practicable extent"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:06 pm 
A lot of VHF handhelds have a triple watch function where they will monitor 9, 16 and a weather channel. I am about to purchase one that also has DSC.

Barry