Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:01 pm 
recent arrival

Hi Folks,
I am new to kayaking and wanting to buy my first boat. Since I live in a small condo, storage space is an issue so an inflatable or foldable kayak seems like the proper choice. I am also interested in packrafting...paddling and peddling with a bike. After doing some research I see that packrafts and kayaks seem at least to be two different animals. Packrafts seem mostly designed for whitewater, and are not great on flat water, handle poorly in the wind and in tracking. Is this correct?

Where I see myself boating the most, at least for now, is doing solo trips and overnighters on rivers here in middle Georgia...calmer sections with lower class rapids (I and II). So, I'd like to be able to carry some gear in the boat, if possible strap the packed boat on a bike and maybe the bike onto the boat. I've been looking at the Innova Sunny, Safari and Helios and NRS Aire Lynx I and II.

I'd like to have the option of self bailing or closed floor for winter trips, adjustable seat and foot peddles and good tracking. I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions about this.

Atticus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 pm 
recent arrival

I am primarily a Canoeist, both WW and FW. However I also own a Sea Eagle Explorer 380X inflatable Kayak. You are generally correct about their strong and weak points. Mine has a removable skeg, that makes it a little better in flat water, although it will still blow around. IMHO it is at its best in Class II to IV WW. It can either be a self bailer, or a dry bottom depending on what you do with the scuppers. It would carry one person and a lot of gear, or two people and a reasonable amount. We mostly use it do day trips, and primarily to see if we should try them in our open (bagged) canoe. Be aware that the durable boats are not light. They probably weigh as much or more than a comparable size folding kayak although they cost a little less. I can't see one on a bike, but it could fit in a trailer. I would not want to put a bike in the kayak, unless it was a folder like a Bike Friday. Don't know what you would do with the trailer.

I can't compare the Sea Eagle with other Inflatable Kayaks. I have only paddled a few others, and it seems comparable. It does seem to be a well designed and well made boat. There are some others that are designed more for FW and Tracking. Sea Eagle makes a line that is narrower and has built in skegs. It is not recommended for WW though. If I were going to buy a boat for FW or Open water I would get a Folder.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The Small Boat Shop in Norwalk, CT, carries both Feathercraft and Klepper, has instructional classes, is right on a wharf on the inlet so you can test paddle right there and also has a huge number of used boats that they sell for owners. Nice people and very informative -- worth a train ride to Norwalk for a few hours some nice day.

I am a little concerned about your intentions of paddling around Manhattan. Those are serious waters, not for beginners. It is a tidal area with strong currents and dangerous on water traffic. If that is your intent -- please go first with a qualified outfitter, preferably in their rental boats so that you can get proper instruction in a supervised environment.

You've likely already read my comments on Pakboats (like them a lot) so I will just reiterate that the velcro band doesn't leak in normal conditions, even in strong waves. It is more a benefit than detrement, increasing the simplicity of assembly and gear access. Very sea worthy craft. I would be more inclined to use a folder like the Pakboat XT's than any inflatable in the New York waters. They are boats you could take offshore along Long Island as well. You need something that will not be a struggle to paddle back to land on windy days with surf in the mix. Inflatables can be a challenge for that.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 am 
recent arrival

I've recently bought a Gumotex seawave and I know I sound like a salesmen for these boats but I have no interest other than I have one. I think they are excellent. Would fit on a bike but as had been said, not that light. I have little experience so bow to that of others. I can say I am very pleased with my boat and paddle it on the waters of the IJsselmeer which is not tidal but can get pretty choppy. The boat handles it well and isn't as affected by wind as I expected, though probably not great compared with a rigid. Maybe worth considering.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:59 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

machone wrote:
I've recently bought a Gumotex seawave and I know I sound like a salesmen for these boats but I have no interest other than I have one. I think they are excellent. Would fit on a bike but as had been said, not that light. I have little experience so bow to that of others. I can say I am very pleased with my boat and paddle it on the waters of the IJsselmeer which is not tidal but can get pretty choppy. The boat handles it well and isn't as affected by wind as I expected, though probably not great compared with a rigid. Maybe worth considering.

I am considering one. Where did you get and where are you located? I am worried about delivery from Great Britain

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light