Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 am 
forum fanatic

I am mulling the wisdom of thinning out the boat collection because I have three boats and that seems pointless.

So, possibly on the block are the Folbot Greenland II or the Klepper AEII.

The Folbot is 10 years old this year, bought new in 2004. Its hull is almost new and unused. Some mods including a Cooper foot rudder system.

The Klepper is roughly 30 years old, maybe 35. Grey rubber with blue canvas deck. No mods except for sailing deck. Hull rubber is good and pliable, canvas is good too, but I believe dry rot is a likely problem.

Which one would you keep?

Thanks,

Paul

Folbot Greenland II, now at a new home on the Southern Cape coast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

"I have three boats and that seems pointless"

Well, I resemble that remark! :lol: At least my excuse is that mine are all very different from each other, or some such thing...

But seriously, regarding your question: While I have a Klepper AE II, I don't have a Folbot. Therefore cannot comment of the merrits of one over the other.
I would simply keep the one which you enjoy using the most! Both should be durable if taken care of. With the caveat that your Klepper has a Hypalon hull (light grey) and not the old natural rubber (silver)?

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Personally i would keep them, i have heard so many people regret getting rid of their boats, then i have six, i did give one Triak to the son in law/grandchildren. What was said about dying with the most "toys". If i do leave Canada for the UK i have to sell all my surface radio control units, but keep the model boats if i can. They took years to make.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 am 

Last time I was in your position, I put both boats (hardshells) up for sale and, after the first one sold, I kept the other. In the end, I realized that sort of thought process was not the best. Sometimes wish I still had that first boat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:41 pm 
forum fanatic

If you are really going to sell one and if they both offer equal utility to you, then sell the one that would bring the most money. No matter which you sell, you will probably wish you hadn't sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:38 am 
forum fanatic

A belated thank-you from me for all your advice.

Yes, it's a tricky question but I am trying to be as unsentimental about it as I can. The problem is both boats are seeing so little use at the moment (my daily paddling opportunity is a tiny urban lake full of racing kayakers going round and round and round, and weekend paddles are, well, complicated ...)

I'm going to take the Folbot off for a weekend sailing trip next weekend and will decide when winter bites. It'll probably be the Folbot, though ... Or neither.

Cheers and thanks,

PK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:28 pm 

Have a nice weekend. Pity about your restricted paddling "lake", apart from the many months of winter and bitter cold, i am surrounded by lakes of all sizes, mostly empty except for me and the biggest lake in the world by area is about an hours drive away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:28 pm 

Well, a vessel under sail has the right of way over a powered vessel; 'course we're splitting hairs a bit when we consider it's man-powered...ha. I suggest you take to the lake with reckless abandon and not worry about it as long as you're not actually crossing racing lanes during a race. The Klepper under sail should be able to power through most plastic recreants.

Don't really know the Greenland, so I'd agree with what ChrisO said above pertaining to the hull material of the Klepper.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:13 am 
faltbootemeister

Food for thought is, If you keep the Klepper and some day when a new hull/deck is needed you can buy a Long Haul replacement hull in Seamark. I don't know if you can buy a replacement hull/deck for a Folbot. When I was deciding on a folding yak I looked at G2 vs MK2 and the MK2 won by a long shot. I'd keep the best kayak rather than the newest. There may be more expense later with a LH hull but as long as the frame is in good condition you will have a new boat.

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:06 pm 
forum fanatic

I, too, have the same two models and there is an obvious question of redundancy. While at least 10 years older than my 90's-era G2 the thicker darker blue canvas of the A2 is more attractive and looks to be more durable. The Klepper is narrower amidships, and a little faster. I've rigged the K2 for solo tripping and left the G2 as a tandem boat. With the seats raised a few inches my son and I like to paddle her with bent-shaft canoe paddles. I don't need both boats, but I subscribe to the decadent fallacy that one can't have too much of a good thing. I bought them 2 years ago within a month of each other with the intention of trying each of them out and selling off the one I liked the least. But they're both very likeable!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:25 am 
recent arrival

Okay this question sort of relates to this topics. I am new to foldable kayaks and well have never actually purchased a kayak before. I am looking for a tandem that I can use solo or double.

I am looking at a Folbot Greenland on Craigslist that was purchased in the 90s but claims to have little use. Would you buy it? Should I automatically assume the skin should be replaced even if seller claims no holes?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 pm 

Tamanduagirl,

Yes, I would certainly consider buying it. In an by itself it should not automatically need a new skin. Really depends how it has been taken care of! Hull and deck were made of durable materials.
But I would have the seller show me assembly and disassembly.
Things to check for:
1. Fit of frame inside skin. Make sure that the skin has not shrunk.
2. Condition of plastic frames (later ones were aluminum). Straight and no cracks.
3. Corrosion of aluminum parts, especially where parts fit together.
4. Fit of deck bead into coaming. Make sure that this works.

If you can, look at more than one Greenland!

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:43 am 
forum fanatic

FrankP wrote:
Food for thought is, If you keep the Klepper and some day when a new hull/deck is needed you can buy a Long Haul replacement hull in Seamark.

My thoughts exactly.

After much vacillating and long, sad gazes at the GII hanging from its cradle in the carport, I put an ad in the paper for money than I hoped to get and had serious interest within a day or two.

When I was sure the buyer was committed, I loaded the Folbot into the hatchback and took a 1000-mile drive to the coast and back.

The delight on their faces as the boat came together on the bank of a tea-coloured river near their home reminded me of the joy I felt when I first put the boat together 10 years ago.

We had an excellent farewell paddle up the Touw River, jungle pressing in from both banks, Knysna louries (turacos) trilling from the forest and malachite kingfishers darting over the water.

While I was driving home with a brick of cash in my backpack (grateful there were no roadblocks because that would have been something to explain), the new owners were putting more miles under the Folbot's hull than I had done in years. So, a good home was found and that was important.

Will put up a pdf of the newspaper story I'm writing here once it's done. Meanwhile thanks to you all for the sound advice and wise comments.