Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:26 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Congratulations! Great boat -- my K-1 was older (1996) with a more awkward frame and heavier fabric than yours will have, but it was a fantastic boat in the water and very bombproof. You've chosen well.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:43 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks, excited to have joined the Feathercraft community!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:43 pm 

Conor,

Glad it worked out for you! See, a lightly used boat is often the way to go: You get the boat you want at a price you can afford. Or put an other way, the better boat for the price of a lesser one?

Enjoy it out there!

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:07 pm 

Congrats. I recognize that the K-1 is a great expedition boat, even if it's overkill for my intended usage. In addition to the Quest 155, I'm also keeping my eye out for a decent used boat. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until a used Quest 155 emerges either on their web site or elsewhere. [There's someone selling a used one in Vancouver BC, but she wants way too much for it.]

Last edited by Apathizer on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm 
forum fanatic

The K1 had been a "blue sky" kind of boat for me until I was pointed to this seller in Alaska. The price I negotiated made it comparable to a new Folbot, or a little more than a new PakBoat. Was watching the assembly video last night as I went over the components and everything is essentially "like new" condition.

The Quest 155 may be a solid option for my brother if I can't help him find a deal like I did.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Bring her home to Alaska

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:45 am 
forum fanatic

That's my goal, thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 am 
forum fanatic

Time lapse video of my first assembly. The seller had packed it up with the hatch rims still on the skin, but no damage was evident. Everything else was in wonderful condition!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNjYMX ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 pm 

Wow! Straightforward assembly the first time, my hat's off to you. I had a couple of false starts my first time back in 2002 and had to undo and repeat a couple of steps.

You will love that boat -- wait until you've had it out in conditions and you will really appreciate how solid it feels in rough water.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
forum fanatic

I only had it out for a half hour or so after my first assembly before darkness came, but my immediate reaction was how smooth it felt when approaching powerboat wakes. Can't wait to get it out in some serious water.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Nice job, great video, thanks for posting. And yes, part of the magic of a well-built folder is the ability to competently flex and absorb wave action that would otherwise rattle your bones. Pure pleasure, once you get used to it.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:40 pm 

Couple of tips on preserving your new boat -- one won't be applicable over the winter but you need to be aware of once the weather warms up: ALWAYS open the inflation valves on the sponson tubes when it is not in the water (and the valves on the inflatable seat if it has one and any flotation bags inside the hull). I forgot to do so one hot summer day and the expanding air inside while I was transporting the kayak on the roof rack ruptured one of the sponson seams. It was a real pain to get it out of the skin to repair and replace it.

The other absolutely important thing is to ALWAYS use Boeshield T-6 spray or drops on every frame joint every time you set it up (unless you will immediately be breaking it down the same day you paddle.) You can buy Boeshield T-6 (I recommend the small dropper bottle) in most good bike shops like Performance Bike. It's messy so I always keep a roll of paper towels or a rag handy when I am assembling.

Also, if your boat didn't come with a patch kit, buy one from Feathercraft or put one together yourself. Field repairs are quick and simple. One thing I have added to my repair kit is a baggie with a small strip of Eternabond brand peel-and-stick micropolymer patching tape. You can get it from RV supply sites. It will seal just about any material in a pinch and can even be applied to wet surfaces. It could prove pretty handy for your Alaska trip.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:27 am 
forum fanatic

Great stuff! The sponson tip is great to be aware of, as of yet I have just been putting it together and taking it apart right before and after paddling so the tubes haven't been inflated long (it also hasn't been very warm). Good to know though, I can imagine that would be a pain.

The seller included an untouched repair kit and an unopened bottle of Boeshield. The first time I assembled it I applied the Boeshield to all the joints. I plan on doing it again this week. I also appreciate your tip about the Externabond repair patch. I had never heard of that before and it certainly sounds like a must-have for any long distance paddle in harsh weather.

Got out yesterday afternoon for a good 10 miles in some pretty windy and choppy conditions. Couldn't believe how well the boat handled it all!

Thanks for your advice,

Conor