Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why no used singles?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:02 am 
faltbootemeister

I am a solo paddler (with a single recent exception). As I gather a fleet of folding kayaks to suit my various needs I am puzzled why there are so many used doubles on the market and so few used singles. One would think more doubles have been manufactured but from the manufacturers websites I would guess the opposite is true. Are people holding on to their singles, like me, never to part with them? Are people buying double kayaks with partners (read romance) in mind and finding that is an illusion?

Just wondering since there is more chance the forward cockpit of my double will get filled with gear than another paddler.

Post subject: Re: Why no used singles?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:41 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Tandem canoes are sometimes, under certain conditions, referred to as "divorce boats". Possibly a liability for tandem kayaks, too? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Based on what I've read here in the last decade, a lot of people buy doubles thinking they can paddle them solo or take their spouse or a friend with them. They soon find doubles are not as much fun to paddle solo, and sweetie isn't all that interested is coming along. They sell the double, and buy a single ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'd guess you're right Michael. I don't know of any other explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

Michael described my experience almost exactly, except I still have the tandem.
I bought it first, in 2004, so family members could go paddling with me. As it turned out, their idea of paddling was a half hour paddle up the shore and back. My idea was an all day run somewhere taking food, water and cameras with me.

So I paddled the tandem solo for four years, then bought my first single in 2008. The main reason I bought a single was that as I aged, the tandem became too big and heavy to handle alone. Now that single is getting pretty hard to deal with for day paddling so I bought a smaller, lighter single in 2010 for short trips and only use the older single when it'll be on the water more than a day.

I'll be putting the tandem on the water this summer for the first time in 5 years - week long vacation - cabin in the north woods. Probably only use it a couple or three times but that'll be enough for my wife.

Buy a single. If the wife / girlfriend wants to go along, rent a tandem for the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I can't just lift the Klepper double and carry it the way I did 17 years ago, but it's the one I used most often these day. My girlfriend and I have never had problems synchronizing our paddling. Amazing, really ;-) We still take out a couple of singles now and again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Treewater,

Interesting question!
Yes, I noticed the same thing when looking for interesting (read old and perhaps mildly archaic) designs. But Feathercrafts are different, I primarily see singles there. Newer Folbot listings show a lot of singles too.
I think part of the answer is that most people who initially buy a folder get a double because they tend to be so stable, versatile and forgiving. And the desire is for a family/couple kayak. I certainly did! In a way the doubles are the perfect first kayak into which one can grow with the developing skills, and take out people who really are not kayakers and would likely not get their own kayak. Then a folding kayak is probably a much better choice for a double than a hard shell. I would hate to have to lug a hard shell double around on land!
But yes, at some point you either get a single for yourself or interest wanes and you stop. Now it becomes interesting: There are so many different types and choices in single kayaks where some types tend to be better suited to specific uses than others. I am talking about all kayaks here, not just folders. Examples: For rough white water and bouncing off boulders, rotomolded is the way to go. I don't think that either folders or fiberglass will last long here. Similar for sea kayaking "in conditions" (think dumping surf, rock gardens or rocky beach landings) where I might prefer a stiff and sturdy fiberglass hull. And if you are into speedy classic Inuit designs, a skin on frame 1931 Disko Bay replica is mighty tempting... And who can argue about the beauty of a nice wooden stitch & glue or strip built kayak in all its varnished glory! And therein lies the rub: So many more viable choices apart from folders. This might be the other part of the answer.
OTOH sponsoned folders like the classic Aerius 1 or Longhaul Mk 1 are and remain a perfect choice for open water tours and expeditions. Plus with what other type of kayak can you just toss one into the trunk of your car or store a half dozen or so at home before anyone is the wiser? :mrgreen:
As to the relationship between single folder designs versus doubles offered and numbers actually sold by the makers? I wonder. I don't really see the singles simply disappearing. Interesting...

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:12 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have reason to stay on this subject, mostly my previous errors. Over in the hard shell world are some interesting characters, females, who have made it in the man's world. This woman puts out interesting perspectives. From: paddling.net Anna Levesque
http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?479

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Just have to look http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4595334872.html

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny