Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:39 am 
recent arrival

I am back after a long absence. I sold my k1 a year ago because i wasn't using it enough, but now i'd like to get back in to kayaking. kind of. I also really like to sail, and sold my sailboat last year also, more because i wanted to simplify. I've been working a lot and saved up a fair amount of money, and thinking about getting a folder to replace my missing boats. I would like something that i can travel with, and that will sail reasonably well. the quattro single that klepper sells is in my list because of the four sponsons, is that something that would contribute a lot to sailing ability? i wonder. if not then the mk 1 sounds like the way to go, except that i also like to paddle and the way i hear it on here people like to paddle the heron. does anybody sail it? and as far as sail rigs go, the kayaksailor looks like it is way to far forward, i can't imagine that being able to go upwind at all, what about the klepper rigs vs the balogh outrigger rigs? does one definitely sail better or is more rugged than the other? and did feathercraft stop making sail rigs for there boats? this is a rambling post i know, thanks for bearing with me.
Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Is Captain Klepper still on here? He was sailing the hull off his S-4 rigged A-2, a few years ago. I have the Balogh schooner rig on my A-2, with the outriggers. It might be the best for sailing, but is bulky in the bags, takes a half hour to rig, and is difficult to paddle with. I just got an S-4 rig with my T12, and it is much lighter, faster to rig, and easier to paddle with-- and has about the same sail area. But I haven't tried sailing the S-4 rig, and probably won't for a while yet.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 am 
recent arrival

yeah, you hit exactly the things that turn me away from the doubles. I don't know if this helps, but i am also 6'3" and 250#'s. the S-4 rig does look very cool, but no outriggers? that is kind of why i was asking about the quattro, with the four sponsons do you think it would stand up to the rig better? can you use balogh outriggers with the klepper rig? would that even be desirable? And what is a t12, an older style klepper? thanks for replying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:30 pm 

T12 is an older double with no sponsons. Otherwise similar to an A2.

I was referring to the sail rigs, not the boats, in my comparison. If you are big, then the doubles are viable. But the traditional wooden singles are pretty large, too, so I don't think you should be scared away from them. There is not too great a weight difference between the trad wooden singles and the doubles. There is a big difference in beam and carrying capacity, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:31 pm 

The biggest difference between the Klepper sail and the Balogh is that the Klepper can be sailed without the outriggers while the Balogh really cannot. The Balogh is a more efficient sail but you do have the commitment to the outriggers which makes it a different kind of boat.

You can sail upwind with the Kayaksailer but the opinion of most of us here on the forum is that you need to make better (longer) lee boards to do so efficiently on a tall hulled boat like the AE1 or MK1. There's a very strong possibility that the Klepper Lee Board setup will work very nicely with the KS but I think I'm the only one that's really tried it here and I didn't really get to test it in windy enough conditions to really make an accurate observation either way.

Unfortunately Kapitan Klepper seems to have gone somewhere south like Brazil and left his forum attendance behind. I believe he was just starting to play with an AE1 and the Klepper S1 rig with a fair bit of success before he took off - I'm really looking forward to trying this combo someday with a MK1 - that said, the KS is going to be a great sail on the MK1 as well without the threat of a regular swim.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 pm 

I added additional sponsons to my AEII and I think it did make a little difference in the stability of the boat while sailing without the outriggers. I'm not sure how... but that's my gut feeling. I imagine the quattro rig on a single would help as well. Pretty sure the Mark makes his MK1 as a quattro as well.

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:11 pm 

Kap Klep is in Portland, OR, according to FB. He got married-- I think that has more to do with it ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm 

Oh that'll do it... and then the little ones... see ya in ten years! ha.

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:13 am 

Little ones are my excuse. And you obviously know.