Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nortik argo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:45 am 
forum fan

Since joining this forum I have been impressed by the knowledge and generosity of its members, and the important role of administration who need financial support to keep this great site running.
I ask a boon then about the pros and cons of the Nortik Argo, with rudder. I have an opportunity to buy an ex-demo one. I am 72 kg, 5 foot, 6 inches and wish to mainly paddle on lakes in Adelaide, South Australia but with some sailing and use of a traction kite to pull me and kayak along. There may be some sea paddling near beaches, very little surf. Summer here reaches a maximum of 40 degrees C and in winter 5 degrees C is a usual minimum.
My other choice would be a new imported Folbot Yukon.
The cost difference would about AUD750, NORTIK being the less expensive.
I have found no information on Nortik's ability to take sail.
Thanking you,
Rok345 the Aussie kite guy :?:

Post subject: Re: Nortik argo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The firm in Germany that Mick of flat earth sails get his boats from do make a conversion for Mick,s sail, i think the firm is outreach but as i can,t remember for sure right now, you will have to check with Mick at flat earth sails, i would think if Mick sells their boats he will also make sure his sails can go on them. I did put some photos in probably the sailing section some time ago but not sure when. Found it. Look at my entry or posting on Oct 15th 2013 FLAT EARTH SAILS in the sailing section. I don,t know if it is the Argo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:55 am 
forum fan

Dear John,
Thank you for your reply and very helpful information.
The demo model is actually Mick's so I am expecting it is outfitted quite well.
He is currently about to paddle and sail in a Nortik (? Navigator ) across Bass Stait to Tasmania, where there is a boat show on soon. I had contacted him about folders and sailing and he emailed back after dropping anchor along the coast from Melbourne, Victoria.
I take your point about the narrow beam of the Nortik and I shall look up all I can about them. I think the Argo is shorter than the Navigator but still around the 5 meter length.
At the same time I am looking at Peter Lynn kite surfing kites peterlynnkites.org.nz- traction or kite surfing kites, not the ones that you have to pump up on dry land but those with air cells longitudinally which fill with air in the wind. They have a cloth valve which helps to stop the structure deflating if the kite lands on the water, they will of course eventually fill with water but not for quite a while.
One wonders how many kites were lost before the cloth valves were perfected!
The smaller sized Trainer (TR) series is the starting place.
Many thanks again and I shall report on progress.
Best Regards,
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 am 
forum fan

Dear John,
My apologies, the Argo is longer than the Navigator 520 cms vs 505 cm but wider 62 vs 59 cm.
My concern is whether the length and tracking ability of a 5 metre plus kayak would cause problems with a kite pulling the kayak along as the kite is flown through its side to side arc of power, a little different to sailing with a fairly constant wind direction where I would imagine tracking is quite helpful.
I guess I am looking for that compromise between stability, manouvrability and directional tracking !!
Best Regards,
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Tony, at least you are getting somewhere. I know nothing about being pulled by a kite and i never recommend any kayaks, there are so many and i have only had Klepper Aerius 2s and a Folbot Yukon, all wide boats. I have never seen any other fold upboats. I don,t know if anyone in the sailing section has any experience of kites, i don,t think i have ever seen anything about kites there. But wouldn,t sails be better as with kites i expect you can only go one way? This should now go into the sailing section where the more experienced sailors are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:05 pm 
forum fan

John,
I will place a post in the sailing section and thank you for being forthright. The fact that you prefer folders of a reasonable width is helpful.
As I gain more experience I will post successes ( and lesser successes) there !
Cheers,
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:42 pm 
forum fanatic

The Argo is made by Out-Trade GmbH in Ulm, Germany. You can find them here http://www.out-trade.de. I spent a couple of hours in the Argo on calm water, and my impression from handing it off the water as well is that it feels very solid.