Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

rh, You might consider a used K-Light of more recent vintage. These were FC's most popular boats for awhile and many were sold in the NYC area. If you search through the classified section on this forum you may turn up one or two that have not sold, perhaps because the seller set the price too high something that often happens in the case of Feathercraft kayaks. If that's the case, you can always make an offer. Can't hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:02 pm 
Hi,
I work on a Private yacht and the owners have expressed an interest into the following kayak:
Clear Blue Hawaii Napali
(http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/products ... apali.html)

To me it looks like a white elephant. great in theory but pants in practice.
It would be for beginners use and to me this looks fairly unstable and also a hazard to marine traffic as its clear design would make the user almost invisible.

I also wonder how it would cope outside of nice calm bays. With a slight bit of chop i imagine water ingress to be a problem without a skirt.

Your opinions and feedback would be most welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi there,

I think the Napali is a rebadged First Light 380 with clear hull material. It looks identical, so search for comments on this forum and elsewhere.

PS Any kayak will get water ingress without a spray skirt, some just get it sooner or later than others

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Ladygeorgina,

The kayak looks like it has a huge amount of "cool factor", including some high tech materials. That said, this looks like a purely recreational kayak suitable for protected waters only. I can't even see how to rig foot pedals or thigh braces. Is it a rebadged (or ripped off) Firstlight? Hard to tell from the pics alone, but Firstlight is still in business and supplies an optional polycarbonate transparent hull, but I don't know about the deck.

If the owners are just looking for an expensive, cool toy to play around in coastal/protected waters this might do the trick.

The kayaks from Feathercraft, Longhaul, Klepper, and a few others are so much more seaworthy and the service from these companies is legendary, which might be important as the owners have little experience with folders.

BTW, are you the from the real Lady Georgina? (Netherlands)

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:15 pm 
forum fanatic

Have you ruled out the Nortik Navigator and Argo? They are quite pricey and probably more so imported across the water, but they are good boats, I paddled the Navigator and it was lovely. Good tracking, adequate speed, not too heavy for a wood frame, and aesthetically pleasing. It was also pretty simple to assemble once the frame parts got used to fitting into place with one another.