Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:48 pm 
recent arrival

I'm new to kayaking, so I'll lay out what I'm looking for and see if such a kayak exists. I'm looking for a light folding or inflatable kayak that will fit in my apartment, but that also has storage in the hull so I can carry a camping backpack for trips. Does such a thing exist? Most of the folding and inflatables I've seen just look like they have, if anything, a little cargo net on top which wouldn't work. I can't tell from looking at the pictures if there's enough room in the leg space to hold a backpack. Where do people store their gear in these things?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Most of us use dry bags rather than packs, and there's plenty of room below deck in most boats to stash a great many large dry bags. You can get bags with shoulder straps that are good for short hauls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:15 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Mike is right.

I'm a hiker first, boater second. These boats have 400-900 lbs of capacity, and you could fit an internal-frame pack (or two) in any of them.

If you want to be able to carry the boat in the backpack, also (not just the pack in the boat), you would have to get a Packraft or the new Packraft competitor being made by Feathercraft.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:38 pm 

saltyd wrote:
I'm new to kayaking, so I'll lay out what I'm looking for and see if such a kayak exists. I'm looking for a light folding or inflatable kayak that will fit in my apartment, but that also has storage in the hull so I can carry a camping backpack for trips. Does such a thing exist? Most of the folding and inflatables I've seen just look like they have, if anything, a little cargo net on top which wouldn't work. I can't tell from looking at the pictures if there's enough room in the leg space to hold a backpack. Where do people store their gear in these things?

Behind the cockpit and forward of the footpegs

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:23 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

chrstjrn wrote:
I'm a hiker first, boater second. These boats have 400-900 lbs of capacity, and you could fit an internal-frame pack (or two) in any of them.

400-900 lbs capacity :?: :shock: I don't know of any kayak that can carry anywhere near 900 lbs. How would you even paddle so much weight?

The only folders I know of that might be able to carry are full-size backpack are Pakboats and maybe the expedition Folbot models like the Kodiak. Pakboats decks open completely at both ends, so so the pack might fit. The Kodiak deck doesn't open completely, but you can just slide the pack in through the cockpit.

As other have mentioned, I'm not sure it's a good idea though. Dry bags are a much better way to go, as most overnight backpacks aren't waterproof, and generally don't take to saltwater very well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:31 am 

Check the specs, Apathizer-- all of the larger doubles can carry ~800 lbs. Paddling so much weight? I wouldn't try taking it through whitewater, but there's no trick to propelling an 800 lb boat-- we're not talking about a wheelbarrow on a muddy road, here.

Also, I'm guessing you are thinking of a packed backpack. Any sensible person would remove the contents and stow them separately in dry bags, so we're only worried about the bag itself. If you're boat is really small and the internal frame didn't fit between the ribs, it's usually easy enough to remove the frame from the pack-- this could also be done to keep the fabric part inside of a drybag.

This is not a question of drybags vs a pack-- it's how to stow the pack in the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:35 pm 

To help the OP, let's be a bit more specific what we are talking about.
As an example, the gear hauling kings are doubles paddled solo. They are not just longer, but also wider than singles. Singles carry much less.
For reference peek at the Long Haul 2014 catalog:
http://longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/wordpr ... alogue.pdf
Their double, the Mark II Quatro is good for 900 lbs. The single Mark I is good for 600 lbs. Not too shabby!
But would I just "pack up & go" with these weights? Nope, I would want to test out reserve buoyancy with the kayak swamped in the type of conditions I will paddle in...
Again to the OP:
Folders do not have compartments separated by bulkheads and do not need hatches (but some do for convenience), very different from a typical hardshell sea kayak! Bow and stern sections are open to the cockpit and you can just stuff them with gear.
But a backpack? Really depends on the size of the thing.
Ask the DoiNomazi here how to load a folder for extended tours! Inspiring.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:54 pm 
faltbootemeister

Unless you anticipate a quick landing/deployment, when you'd need to grab the backpack and rush on the trail, it could be much better to unpack and store everything below deck in small waterproof bags. We use waterproof bags below the deck and on deck, not only to protect content from (mostly) salt water, but to prevent the water from permeating gear and decreasing buyoncy...

There are backpacks that are waterproof, or can be made waterproof. Yes, size matters. Unless you have an open deck, a "real" backpack meant to provide support for a week long hike won't fit below deck in any folding kayak.

If you pack the heavy stuff below deck to maintain a lower centerweight, you can strap a large backpack on deck. Cover it with a garbage bag and you are all set.

If you don't like the aesthetics of a garbage bag, there are waterproof liners that can transform your backpack into a waterproof backback. Or you can pack the gear inside the backpack in smaller waterproof bags.

Although not backpacks, we are looking forward to using large waterproof bags that will saddle the stern deck on our next trip. They will act as amas too... :) We'll strap a rather large/heavy bag to the bow deck too. Pelican cases and water bladders strapped on decks too... :) Of course, most of the heavy gear packed in small waterproof bags below decks...

A properly packed waterproof backpack can become an additional temporary flotation device, if you ever need to abandon a sinking boat.

I am not sure how long a fully flooded yak will continue to float if the gear under decks is fully soaked. Once again, waterproof bags under decks, or well strapped on decks, can improve your flotability a bit.

Not sure if we ever reached the 900 lbs of our boat, but we did take the kitchen sink on some trips.

Just go for it and have fun... :)

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:44 pm 

[url]www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/epic.htm/[url]
This would fit under the deck. So would an unpacked internal frame pack.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:44 am 

I've been looking at backpacks for upcoming Boy Scout backpackers and it seems that most packs these days are one large compartment inside. I have a Sea to Summit (I think) 65 Liter waterproof bag that would probably fit inside an internal framed pack and hold practically all the gear that's in the pack. Pretty much the same thing DoiNomazi said... This is one way you could strap the pack to the outside of the boat with gear still incorporated, safely, inside the pack. But really, working the 65 liter bag into the bow or stern of the boat would be easier and better ballast for the boat. The empty pack could still be put on the deck in a clear heavy duty contractor bag if traveling in salt water. If you're traveling in fresh water I don't think you'd need to protect the pack with more than the rain cover it comes with... simply let it dry. The internal frame pack mounted on the stern would be a great place to keep some food and working/safety/play gear while paddling. Connecting a Type IV PFD to it before strapping it down would probably be a good idea as well.

It seems to me that an empty internal frame pack is going to be a tight fit through the ribs fore or aft in a Klepper or Long Haul - it depends on the width of the frame. Even if you got it in, it would take up an awful lot of the boats storage space.

I'll check some packs out with this in mind next time I'm at the shop.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:55 am 

DoiNomazi wrote:
we are looking forward to using large waterproof bags that will saddle the stern deck on our next trip.

Really?

I'll be pretty interested to hear how that works out... but if anyone can do it, it's you guys for sure.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:23 am 
faltbootemeister

see the twin bags strapped on the stern deck?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer ... er=5441980

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer ... er=5441980

Imagine larger waterproof bags saddling the stern deck, almost touching the water. If strapped properly, can add buyoncy and when the tail wind is blowing a bit of "green" propulsion... :)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:37 am 

I note that the original poster has never followed up.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:26 pm 

Indeed, not uncommon.
Maybe because the OP was really looking for a specific recommendation, such as : "This little folder/inflatable is exactly what you are looking for and it only costs $xx.xx".
I certainly don't have that specific answer...
We did however, discuss the storage issue in depth.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

A brief explanation of the intended trip could have helped too.

Does the OP need to paddle to a trailhead for a longer hike that will bring him/her back to the yak?

There is quite a difference between the backpack used for a short day hike in the summer and a longer multi-day expedition in the winter, or even in the summer, above a certain parallel.

Is there available drinking water in the area, or does the OP need to carry drinking water? Is the OP taking a 4 season 2-3 person tent? cold weather/rain gear? Sleeping mats, heavier sleeping bags? Electronic devices and batteries that need moisture protection? Cooking gear? Food? And so on.

We approach each destination with unique solutions tailored to the characteristics of that particular trip.

I second the message above, the storage issue was discussed in depth.

Good luck.