Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 am 
recent arrival

High all,

I'm looking to by a folding single kayak for use on lakes, calm rivers, maybe Oceans occasionally but I have zero experience with folders. I have some experience with hard shell SOT's and I own a Sea Eagle 380 which I love for turbulent rivers but I know I'm not going to be keeping up with hard shell or folding expedition boats off the river soooo, since I would like to join some of my fellow paddlers for these extended trips I'm looking for some advise on a new boat.

First and foremost, I'm tall (6'6" or 2m) and reasonable fit but not exactly skinny (240 lbs or 108kg) but even more than my size I'm concerned about the foot size (size 14, sorry not sure what that converts to for or non-US friends, about 36cm though). I'm looking for a kayak that can handle at least 3 or 4 day unsupported trips, it doesn't have to be a speedster but I don't want a barge either but, most importantly, I would like to be comfortable in it. To make things slightly more complicated I don't have much experience with sit inside kayaks and most of the kayaks I've paddled have been very stable. While I'm not opposed to learning new techniques (In fact I intend to do just that) I would like to be able to paddle the boat straight out of the gate as well.

There are a couple of boats I'm leaning towards: The Aqua-Xtreme Yin & Yan (which I can't find a single review on...) or on the extreme edge of my budget the FolBot Kodiak. I've also considered the PakBoat XT-17 solo but I'm concerned about too little height for my feet.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Kodiak but any insight some of the larger paddlers could give would be much appreciated. (Or if anyone has ever paddled the Yin & Yan I like to know their thoughts.)

Thanks in Advance!
A.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

I've owned a Kodiak, and it should be able to handle your feet. I'm 6'2" with size 12 feet. If you want a really stable boat, the Yukon is about as close to untippable as you'll find. I have one I bought for fishing, photography and nature watching.

The Cooper is worth considering, too; it's a faster boat than either the Yukon or Kodiak, tracks beautifully, and has a lot of room for gear in dry bags. You might want to call or email Folbot and ask their advice, as they are very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:57 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the reply,

The Cooper looks like a nice boat, and it seems to be commonly recommend for larger paddlers as well, thanks for the tip. The specs seem to indicate it has less weight capacity though which might be a concern at 275 lbs. My 240 lbs doesn't leave much overhead for gear. I know when I'm backpacking my pack usually weight in between 40 and 65 lbs depending on the length of the trip and I'd hoped to take a few more luxury items (Like maybe some food that isn't freeze dried...). Which I guess bring me to another question which is how conscientious of a boats max weight is every one? I know for an aircraft it is supper critical and I just assumed it was the same for a boat.

Thanks again,
Aaron.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:10 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Both Klepper and Longhaul make high volume, stable, very high quality singles. Both will handle 600+ pounds and have huge cockpits and sufficient height for big dogs (my 13's fit just fine in the Klepper). They are very expensive new but come up on the used market often, check out paddleswap.com, it is a mashup of the used kayak market.

g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

But a Klepper/Long Haul AE2 can not keep up with narrower boats, particularly when paddled solo. If you can afford it, I think the Kodiak is a great choice for you.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:39 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

"But a Klepper/Long Haul AE2 can not keep up with narrower boats, particularly when paddled solo."

I completely agree, I was suggesting the A1 or Mark1,

g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:16 pm 

Sorry-- I misread. I would still question whether they can keep up with hardshell singles, although I am being inconsistent because they are at least as fast as a solo Kodiak.

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

My quick, and entirely off the top of my head, recommendation is to look into one of the "classic" singles first: Klepper AE I, Long Haul Mark 1, or Folbot Kodiak.
All these have in common: Proven design, 28" beam for good stability, generous cargo capacities, large cockpit opening for easy access to gear and easy entry and exit.
If you want more of a sea kayak type, that is more slender and potentially faster (but smaller cockpit openings), look into Feathercrafts, such as the K1 or Heron. Check with Feathercraft FIRST for their recommendation for your height, weight and size feet. Long legs can present a challenge too when getting in and out of a kayak with a small cockpit opening. Particularly the Heron is worth a look, I was recently treated to a presentation by two local paddlers who used these in a two week Alaska kayak camping trip. These very experienced sea kayakers selected the Heron over the K1 for performance.
As always, purchasing new is easy but relatively expensive (though equal or actually often less than quality fiberglass sea kayaks!), used is more of an adventure but much more affordable.
And yes, try before you buy if at all possible!

Chris O.

Note: I have edited the above to clarify a few (muddled?) points.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

Last edited by ChrisO on Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:06 pm 

Whatever you do, if it's a single you'll want to try fitting those size 14s in before you buy. An AE2 or a Kodiak will fit your feet without needing to try first, and will avoid any concerns about weight capacity, but will have a speed penalty. Long Haul is in Colorado, so you might keep that in mind if you head that way-- or you could call him and ask whether they'll be down in your direction at any time.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

The LH Mark-1 is a pretty fast boat with a lot of capacity- I've got one. That extra length over the A-I is in the center, so it adds a lot of volume and displacement. Certainly my favorite expedition single.

I think I weighed about 220 when I tested the Cooper, and it was pretty fast. I used to carry my 220lb 6'2" self and 40 lbs of gear in my Klepper A-1 for trips of a week without difficulty, but if you get much beyond that you start to bring the waterline low.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:08 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the tips all. I'm trying to find someplace here in Phoenix where I might be able to actually lay physical hands on some of these boats but there are not a lot of kayak dealers here in the valley and none that really carry folding craft (which is odd to me considering the city is surrounded by water. I mean there are three rivers and four lakes with in an hour drive of the city... five if your really desperate and count Tempe town lake right in the middle of the city.) Anyway, I digress. Thanks again for the recommendations and if anyone know a good dealer maybe with in 3 hours of Phoenix please let me know! :)

Aaron.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:04 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Aaron,
Finding a nearby dealer with an assortment of folders will be tough, as you have found. The "mass market" kayaks in local stores are mainly plastic.
Two suggestions: First, contact the kayak makers or distributors and ask the question. Second, contact local kayak clubs to see if any of their members have one of the folders you are interested in and would be able to help. Quite a few serious sea kayakers will have a folder stashed away for when they fly to kayak destinations.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:03 am 
forum fanatic

I think the Feathercraft Klondike would be a good fit. It is fast in the solo mode and very stable and with lots of capacity. 575 lbs.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:56 pm 

You could give Mark at Long Haul a call and see if they have any MK1 owners down in your area.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP