Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WBFM, take three...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:53 am 
forum fanatic

I read your posts Apathizer and further was researching the 155 and thinking it looked pretty good then discovered it is already too late! So sad that companies are stopping production of ingenious lovely boats.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:28 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Selkie wrote:
I read your posts Apathizer and further was researching the 155 and thinking it looked pretty good then discovered it is already too late! So sad that companies are stopping production of ingenious lovely boats.

I don't see anything on the Pakboats web site indicating it's too late. While the Quests have been discontinued, they still seem to be in stock. Check the price list section; it indicates they're reduced by 25%, which I would presume means they're still available. You can always call or email them to make sure. They still receive full support from Pakboats, meaning replacement parts, service, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:17 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I second Apathizer again. Pakboats is sort of a 2-man operation, and updating the website has never been their top priority. Pick up the phone and call them-- they will probably work a deal personally with whatever is on-hand.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:22 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

This is a long shot. No affiliation with Craigslist poster and International deal may be a stretch but this one looks like a good buy...
http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/boa/5411611429.html

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:34 am 
forum fanatic

Oooh! I could never understand why they discontinued the teal colour...

International purchase seems risky...

So pretty though! But which is it, a kahuna?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:41 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

From the Feathercraft website:

ST Expedition – Discontinued 1996
1985: Length: 13′ 6″ Beam: 27″ Weight: 48 lb Introduced specifically for our Japanese market for portability and river paddling. The frame design incorporated square and round tubing for an extremely strong and rugged kayak. With the change in the market, discontinued in 1996.

FRT/ST Expedition Assembly

It looks like a reasonable option, probably a long shot, just trying to help.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 am 
forum fanatic

Though it doesn't seem that tracking is that models strong point, were it nearer I would be so tempted!!

Thanks for further info on the Pakboat, food for thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:54 pm 
forum fanatic

gbellware, I have enquired...

If anyone can provide insights into this model please do! I found a couple of references in old threads but not a lot. I'd like to know if the FC skeg would make tracking reasonable, I want to go from a to b efficiently and not always be correcting or edging...

Please be voices of reason, all I can see is teal-coloured hypalon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:33 pm 

I've used the FC skeg on my Kurrent 2.0 when paddling with a quartering wind and have found it to work very well. It serves to minimize weathercocking without significantly detracting from maneuverability.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:15 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Selkie wrote:
gbellware, I have enquired...

If anyone can provide insights into this model please do! I found a couple of references in old threads but not a lot. I'd like to know if the FC skeg would make tracking reasonable, I want to go from a to b efficiently and not always be correcting or edging...

The rudder will keep it straight

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:13 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you all for your help, a decision has been made... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 am 

You won't be disappointed. Unless, of course, you've made the wrong decision. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

My first kayak was a 2001 FC Kahuna, somewhat similar to the boat you are apparently going to get. It tracked horribly in cross breezes until I got the simple little rubber skeg, which transformed its behavior. It is definitely an accessory that you need. The Kahuna is also very simple to assemble, much as I expect the XT would be. At 2" wider than the Kahuna and 10 pounds heavier it is probably a little slower, but it sounds like it is a little stronger and possibly more rigid, which would make it versatile. The Kahuna tended to flex a little so it lost some energy in paddling.

I'm your height but about 20 lbs heavier and currently have a regular Wisper. It really is a nice boat and I lucked into it used but in like-new condition 7 years ago for $2200. I bought it through an on line ad out of state, sight unseen, and paid for it before it was delivered to a family member out of state. It turned out to be in flawless condition, despite having been used for a monthlong tour of the Aegean Sea in Greece by the first owner. Properly cared for, these boats hold up very well.

I have visited the Feathercraft factory on Granville Island in Vancouver twice and have dealt with them over the years to get parts for my 3 FC boats (also owned a 1995 K-1 for a while, and agree with you that it is too big for people our size and also a real chore to assemble). Feathercraft maintains a deep stock on parts and materials for ALL their old models of boats. The main reason that is possible is that, unlike other manufacturers, they fabricate everything right there in their small but high tech shop. They have CNC machines to produce the components and keep all the old patterns. Don't worry about getting parts for any Feathercraft boat of any vintage.

If you are ever in Vancouver, give them a call. They graciously gave me a tour of the factory and on my second visit, loaned me a Wisper and Klatwa paddle so I could test it on my own for several hours. They are right on the seawall of Vancouver harbor so you only have to walk a few dozen yards to the steps to enter the water.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:08 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks Kerryonkayaks. Looking back through archives I've been thinking it would be good to pick your brain!

I actually concluded that the ST probably didn't track well enough for my liking, and in the meantime I'd come across a 2nd hand kahuna reportedly in good condition with a number of valuable accessories going along with the boat. Its in the US and both I and the seller are anxious about the risks of a major transaction with an unaccountable stranger, so I don't know how that will turn out. It is not exactly what I was looking for, but in terms of value for money and being almost right - judging by the reports here and elsewhere - I think it would be a good choice. The saving on a new boat would allow me to keep my hardshell and enjoy the advantages of both.

If it falls through then I think I'm resolved to make the commitment and go for a Wisper. I've admired that model for years but felt it was far out of my budget, however experimenting with other boats I like but don't love is proving just about as costly. I want to feel the way I did about my first hardshell, which was a complete love affair! It was breathtakingly beautiful and perfect in every way (other than being far too large volume for me as I discovered after a decade!). Practically the Wisper sounds ideal in terms of stability, tracking and speed, and if I love it then it is money well spent as it will be a source of joy for hopefully much of my paddling life. But there's nowhere in the UK to try one so I am poised on the cusp of blowing a vast sum on a boat i haven't met!

Having paddled both boats and being a similar size and weight I'd be really grateful for any observations you have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:52 am 

I bought my first folder, a K-Light Plus, from an on-line ad. The boat was misrepresented in that it was actually three years older than advertised. On the other hand it included new float bags, a spray skirt and a cockpit cover that were not expected. I kept it long enough to convince me to buy a new Feathercraft and the loss, on resale, wasn't great. However, I'm talking about a boat that cost me $1000 and I wouldn't go much above that unless I could actually inspect the boat or have someone I trusted check it out. Or buy it from someone on the FKF who has a history of postings and would likely be an honest broker.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next