Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WBFM, take three...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am 
forum fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:52 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Mellow-industrial yellow. Nice! Nearly new, too. So did you actually buy it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:40 am 

The Wisper is substantially easier to paddle than the Kahuna. I used to have to paddle like a maniac to keep up with paddlers in touring hardshells when I had that boat. With the Wisper, no problem.

Returning to a previous tangent in this string, Pakboats seems to still have some Quest 135's in stock for under $1200. I had seriously considered getting one -- still thinking I might bite while there are still some left. My ex-boyfriend had an XT-15 that I used several times -- very nice boat though a little bit large volume for my taste. I find Pakboats much easier to assemble than any Feathercraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXGG7KO1MQ

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:25 am 
forum fanatic

Hopefully being dispatched from lovely seller in mainland europe today. :) I know, nearly new :o

Glad I didn't go with the kahuna then, good luck with the Quest decision Kerry.

Thanks all for input.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:59 am 

I'm a bit confused. So you found a used Wisper in Europe? The one in that closeup shot of a yellow skin? Did not see that you posted an announcement of having found one, only the pic.

If that is the case, I will be interested to hear how you like it. Let me know if you have any puzzlements about assembly. Is it a standard Wisper or an XP? If the standard, I hope they are including the strap-on skeg because you will want it for better tracking.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:16 am 

Selkie,

I'm sending you my phone number via private email in case you run into any problems with assembling your Wisper -- feel free to call me. The Feathercraft instructions are fairly good but can be a little puzzling. I believe there are some assembly videos on YouTube. One thing I have done with my folders to simplify assembly is to buy a set of the narrow colored electrical marking tapes from a hardware store and color code the connections at each frame section end by wrapping the tape around -- blue to blue, yellow to yellow, white to white, etc.

Also, visit a bicycle shop and get a squeeze bottle of BoeShield or other lubricant (it must be something that will not degrade rubber) and ALWAYS liberally coat each frame connection point when assembling. They do sell it in spray bottles too, but I find them too messy and not portable. I keep a squeeze bottle with my folder kit at all times. Failure to do this will cause the tubes to weld together with corrosion and you will no longer be able to break the boat down. I bought the K-1 assembled (should have known better) and when I went to take it apart a week later I found two sections welded. It cost me over $100 to get replacements from FC.

Another caution is to always open the valves on the sponson inflation tubes and inflatable seat when you are finished paddling in warm weather. I forgot to do this once with my Kahuna and loaded the kayak on the roof rack on a sunny day -- the air expanded during the drive home and ruptured the inner bladder along one seam. I was able to remove the bladder and patch it but doing so requires that you turn the skin inside out, which is a nightmare process.

Kerry

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:43 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you Kerry thats really kind, I just received your message. I can imagine its going to be puzzling the first few times... will definitely do what you suggest with coloured tape. Having learned from previous experience I will expect it to take at least 3 times the stated maximum, and have regular refreshments and rest breaks.

So yes, the yellow boat should be with me soon! It's the standard, and I believe the skeg will be included, I was very lucky to also get the cart for the bag and a paddle too as part of the deal, though at 230cm I should think too long for me.

I followed up several leads for older FC in other models, but none came close for condition or value, plus this one is already in europe and is my long-desired Wisper. I am impatiently waiting to hear of its dispatch then I will clear floor space for the inaugural assembly!!

Am so glad of the help here as a number of questions have been popping up since I made the deal. How best to attach spare paddles (without marking the yellow deck, yes I know it will be inevitable but I will still be precious about it til it happens), and do all deck bags fit equally well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:04 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Selkie,

Congrats on the kayak, and Kerry has given you solid advice. Couple of other tips: Definitely heed the advice about Boeshield (and I would be reluctant to use any lubricant other than the real Boeshield), apply it before first assembly and then each time after you take the boat apart. And if you can arrange some kind of platform that is at least two feet off the floor you will have a much easier time with assembly. Just my $.02

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:25 pm 
forum fanatic

Thank you :) I guess I can assemble each end of the frame on the dining table, the extending part has to have some use. I am certainly at least investing in a pair of those strap-on kneeling pads for gardeners...

and a thin tarpaulin for outdoor assembly / dissembly.

Boeshield warnings taken to heart, I saw someone suggest wearing rubber gloves to apply it, the fc blog I think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:56 pm 

Selkie, congratulations on your nearly new, mellow yellow Wisper. The 230cm paddle may prove to be too long for the Wisper's modest beam. If you had a look at the video that Kerry attached you might see that the paddler's low paddling angle with what appears to be a rather longish paddle causes the bow of the Quest 135 to yaw back and forth which makes for less than optimal efficiency. This will be less noticeable with your Wisper simply because of its longer waterline but a shorter paddle will help increase general efficiency while reducing paddler fatigue. Both Epic and Werner have on-line paddle selection guides that you might find helpful. Bon chance!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:49 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you Jake. I see what you mean about the boat in the video. I suspect they will be too long, but am loathe to sell them in a market where FC is a relatively unknown brand and so probably not make very much. At worst they can be a really plush spare set. Its a win-win either way! :)

I was uncertain about yellow but now I am really looking forward to paddling my ray of sunshine!! Sunglasses may be in order, we are not used to such brightness over here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:42 am 

You might want to use the 230 for awhile before assigning it as a spare. The contrast will make the shorter paddle feel even better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:22 pm 

I always use 213 cm Greenland style paddles with my Wisper. (my photo avatar is a very old shot with my red Kahuna and a narrow blade standard paddle.) I have a one piece red cedar wooden one (my favorite) but it can't fold so I got a Northern Light 3-piece carbon fiber Greenland for travel. Greenland paddles work very well with the Wisper because the higher cadence and less "push" help the boat track better and the high angle works well with the hull design. It is basically a Greenland kayak design, after all. I carry a two piece "Euro" style regular blade paddle on the deck (I have both 230 and 220 cm ones) for a spare and to switch off in some conditions. In fact when I test paddled the Wisper in Vancouver Harbor when Feathercraft loaned me one back in 2009, they gave me their 220 cm Klatwa GP to use with it. The Klatwa is lovely but there are plenty of artisan makers of two and three piece GP's here in the states, and I imagine you can find them in the UK as well.

One advantage of wooden paddles is that they are less likely to scuff the skin. My red boat has developed various marks over the years -- I consider them badges of honor. But I admit I am tempted to obscure some of them with hand drawn designs. The only thing stopping me is concern for how the solvents in Sharpie permanent ink markers might affect the skin. I have used Sharpie pen on the deck of my Pakboat Puffin with no evident evil, but that is different material.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 am 

If you like working with wood you might try your hand at making a Greenland paddle. There's plenty of information on the internet about the process and it's not complicated; essentially one takes in hand a spruce or cedar 2x4 of a determined length and, using basic tools (a drawknife is useful here), carves away anything that doesn't look like a proper Greenland paddle. Even if your first attempt turns out a clunky stick, it will still be useful as a spare to carry on deck. And Kerry is right about the Greenland heritage of the Wisper; it brings to mind Geoff Blackford's Anua Acuta which he adapted from an actual skin-on-frame Greenland boat in the early 1970s. It became the first boat that Valley Kayak fabricated in fiberglas. A lovely boat as is the Wisper.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:01 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

If you decide to make a greenland paddle, use Western Red Cedar if you can. It's so much easier to carve than Spruce, and doesn't warp. It's also lighter but still strong enough.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by siravingmon on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next