Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WBFM, take three...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:53 pm 
forum fanatic

I would love to carve my own paddle, it would be such a personal tool then and wood seems much more appropriate to the organic nature of a folding kayak. I'm not sure how easy it would be to source different types of wood in the UK though, Spruce should be fine, Western red cedar I'm not so sure about. I have no experience at all making things so its likely there would be at least a dozen attempts that became firewood anyway!

I also have a northern light 3 piece greenland paddle. I was very fortunate to get it at a bargain price because it had cosmetic damage, used it a tiny bit but then had a long paddling-free period for much of last year due to family ill health. I definitely want to pick it up again. I had read of dreaded 'flutter' but the paddle seemed to take me along without problems, but that most likely was ignorant bliss! Is there anything in particular I should read or watch to learn more?

Otherwise I've solely used a werner shuna for a long time, and thought it was pretty ideal ...until last christmas someone loaned me a carbon-fibre kalliste for the day. It was so SO nice I almost wished I'd never tried it! I see one for sale on this forum, whoever buys it will be very happy.

Probably I should try a professional made wooden paddle before trying to make my own in any case - so I know what I am aiming at!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:05 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

So, if you already own a lovely Northern Light GP as well as the Shuna, you're good to go. I've mostly used a 210cm Shuna and a 215 Epic touring paddle for my last two sea kayaks, a Caribou and Arctic Hawk and now for my little Epic GPX and Kurrent. Both very good paddles though the Epic is just a bit on the long end. If you want to try a wooden GP you could simply trace the Northern Light to a cedar blank or some other easy-to-work soft wood.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 pm 
forum fanatic

I think whether I keep the FC 4-piece paddle will depend on how it goes with the GP. My existing spare set are the first random eBay paddles I ever bought and are awkward to join together, and I had been thinking they maybe weren't the most ideal thing to depend on in an emergency. If I can use the GP as my everyday paddle then the shuna can become safe reliable spares, and then I can sell the FC paddle, otherwise it has to become the spare...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:32 pm 
forum fanatic

1hour 30 mins, 1 bruised thumbnail, 1st assembly complete.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 pm 

Not so bad. It took two of us, one an old FC hand, and myself fifty minutes to knock a Wisper together. There is no Feathercraft that's easy to assemble except the now extinct and much lamented Aironaut but I'll wager that you'll have the assembly time down to less than one hour after a few practice sessions. The Wisper is indeed a very nice boat. Enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

It will get easier, especially if you take my hint and use colored electrical wire ID tape to code the mid section rods. Even with the scores of times I have assembled my three FC's over the years, it usually takes me 45 minutes the first time every season, but after that I can do it in half an hour. My record with the Wisper so far is 22 minutes, but I had a helper to hand me parts as I needed them and I was not pausing to lubricate the connections since I was only going to be out in fresh water for a few hours and would then be immediately breaking it down.

Once you have the frame parts color coded, start your assembly by laying them out in proper position on the ground beside the skin. Also, part of my kayaking kit is an 18" x 24" chunk of 1/2" ensolite to kneel on (any closed cell foam will do -- yoga mats are cheap and useful for this.) The mat is also handy to lay inside the boat under my legs on longer trips

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

My $.02 from my experience with the Kahuna...focus on technique. Anything that you need to force is wrong. The way you place your hands is really important. Look at the Feathercraft video and pay particular attention to specific hand positions, especially for installing ribs 3 and 4 and using the extension bar, and you will be better off. Good luck!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:48 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks for encouragement!

I am on the lookout for coloured electrical tape, it will make so much difference. And have resolved to put the boat together 7 more times before I am allowed to take it out on the water otherwise I will never have the discipline to practice (7 because while in post-assembly delirium I rashly said I'd do it once a day for a week). Foam kneeling pad high on priority list too...

I am very encouraged though, it took the amount of time I thought (unlike previous folding kayak first assembly which took more than half a day :shock: ), and I only sweated a little! It does seem that technique rather than brute strength is required for the tricky bits (Kerry you were almost called during the extension bar process!!), which is also good. Thank heavens for you tube, I do need to watch more carefully before trying again. The thumbnail was caused by a hand-brain malfunction when guiding together the last longeron and the last notch on the last cross rib when it seemed a good idea to find the space between the two little peggies with my thumb...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:56 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have a Big Kahuna and one thing I do is think outside the box (something I have to tell my brain to do). After many years the skin is still temperamental. So instead of extending the bars to the middle hole (my Kahuna has three) as per the instructions, on "bad" days I will extend them to the first hole. One less step and it makes the overall assembly (especially for the big ribs) a little easier. I think the key is symmetry. In other words I would not extend the chine bars to the middle hole because they are the easiest to do and everything else the first hole. On days when I'm not fighting the skin I will extend everything to the middle hole. Also it might help if you extend the gunwale and chine bars first and then the keel bar (the hardest one for me).

Color coding the bars is a very helpful idea. I've found packets of smaller diameter electrical tape that have all the colors you need. Any home improvement store should have them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Selkie is in Europe so they may not have the same selection of electrical hardware that is available on this side of the Big Pond.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:01 am 

How about this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRICAL-19 ... asN7c9yLtg
:-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:24 am 
forum fanatic

Wow!! Thats perfect :D

Good advice re symmetry, and extending all bars at the same rate, something I didn't do this first time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:19 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Better yet, a set of nine colors of the vinyl tape for 7 quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-ROLLS-ELEC ... xycmBS8fPZ

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15