Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kayak for speed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:09 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Last time I was there, Jersey Paddler had one Trak in its inventory and would probably sell it at a bargain price. I don't think that they're much interested in the folding kayak niche.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:39 pm 
Thank you all and greetings Selkie nice to know there are some neighbours nearby and please do inquire about the Whisper (what version is it) I suspect the exchange rate may kill any potential bargain tho. thanks for the link am trying to make inquiries on shipping costs also. I think the reason I had initially discounted was cost and assembly time

Have also inquired re the Kitta as I do thinks it a fine piece of kit. I had thought of the trak but had discounted due to costs incl shipping and also thought it a bit big for me
The quest 135 is a lovely kayak but appears unavailable not sure why companies going out of the folding business but suspect that a) plastic is cheaper in most cases than a folder b) those not fully versed in the joys of a folder perceive plastic as better value c) plastics can take some beating before they die whereas folders require regular maintenance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:31 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I agree that the TRAK might be too big for you (for your intended purpose). If you go here http://www.trakkayaks.com/pages/video and go to the summary at the end of video 6, the review actually says "a good day boat for larger paddlers". At least with the TRAK you can increase the rocker and so reduce the waterline length and wetted surface area, albeit at the expense of greater windage due to the higher bow in that configuration.
The reason I mention the TRAK is that the Wisper is wider and without the ability to increase its rocker, meaning it will have a waterline length at least as long as the TRAK, so imho you'll find it harder work to maintain a high average speed than say a Quest 135 or a Narak 460 (only 56 cm wide, apparently), if the Quest is no longer available.
The 135 is my preference as it's lighter, so is easy to carry single-handed and accelerates faster, and has a faster swede form hull rather than the fish form hull of the Narak. The cockpit is also a bit further back so it'll weathercock and broach a bit less.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:47 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

The Narak 460, on the other hand, will be more durable (thick PVC hull and less delicate sponsons), much less leaky as the deck is not velcroed on (but not major issue on the Quest), & flex more unless you fit the sponsons, which will make it wider but also give a tauter skin. My Narak 550 flexed a lot, but this helped make it more inert in rough seas, with a softer ride. It was also pretty stable, once I junked the awful seat, so I doubt you'd need the sponsons. With the Narak you may need to add an epoxied rope coaming lip to keep the sprayskirt in place (though the 460 may be ok as the coaming is shorter than their 550). The Narak (550) is also EU certified for up to 6 miles offshore, and wood will never buckle.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm 
paddler

Quite an old thread, reply is probably redundant to OP now, but my guess as to the fastest folding kayaks would place First Light at the top.

http://firstlightkayaks.com/range.html

The three biggest influences on speed (outside of power available) are: Overall weight / displacement. Beam on the waterline. Smoothness of skin.

Length has a lesser impact at typical speeds -longer boats have greater sprint speed, but at typical sustainable power outputs, a longer boat has less wave making resistance but more wetted surface resistance so the two more or less cancel out , especially if you are smaller / lighter.

These boats are the lightest (9.0 kg for a 420cm boat) and narrowest (21 ¾ " / 55.5 cm ) I've seen, so presumably would be the fastest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:44 am 
recent arrival

Op here for some reason I can't seem to get into my original account. Thank-you Ianh I placed a deposit on a kitta June last year am still waiting on kayak, last update I had was kayak was ready for adding hatches. I could give a very entertaining story on the whole saga but I'd rather have a drink in my hand and a kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 pm 
forum fanatic

That's a crazy long wait. Did you buy a used plastic hardshell for something to use in the meantime? The entertaining saga would probably be instructive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 am 
recent arrival

Have been using my creeker and working on my skills increasing knowledge in navigation as plastic is just too heavy and not much storage. The saga will be an entertaining storey alright worthy of a few drinks if I ever get my boat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm 
recent arrival

Just to give an update my kayak is ready and in belgrade. Does anyone have any ideas on how to ship to Ireland. The alternative is to fly but prices seem quiet high, the builder did offer to pay for flight to compensate for flight but not sure if he realises how costly flights are. Any ideas welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:50 pm 
forum fanatic

Really looking forward to your report on the kayak when you get it. Wish I had some advice on how to get it to your location from Belgrade...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 pm 
faltbootemeister

Last year I bought a SeaHopper folding dinghy from England. It was delivered to JFK in New York by air-freight quite reasonably.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 pm 
recent arrival

Op here so final update on this paid a significant deposit to nikola sljiviv from naval kayaks consistent lack of communication being constantly fobbed off I can only assume the guy is incapable and lacking any sense of professionalism. Re first light kayaks they seem a lot less robust.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Soilse. looking at your posts you seem to have paid a deposit in June 2016 and now it,s Nov 2017. Do you think you will ever see your kayak. Getting it to you should never have been a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Soilse wrote:
Just to give an update my kayak is ready and in belgrade. Does anyone have any ideas on how to ship to Ireland. The alternative is to fly but prices seem quiet high, the builder did offer to pay for flight to compensate for flight but not sure if he realises how costly flights are. Any ideas welcome.

Hi,
Sorry to read about the difficulties you've had with this. Was the shipping the last part of the problem, or are there some additional problems going on? I would have expected that you should have been able to find a courier to take a folding boat from central Europe to Ireland. Failing that, I know that people in the Open Canoeing community have managed to arrange the transfer of non-folding boats over quite long distances (i.e. Germany to the UK, Scotland to England, I think possibly across to Ireland) simply through putting out a call for help on the song of the paddle forum (SongOfThePaddle.co.uk). Belgrade is a further step again, but perhaps the German paddling community could help?

I've looked at the videos of the Narval Kitta. It looks like an interesting design. Would be good to hear more about the boat, and indeed about the difficulties you've had in purchasing ...

I hope you find a good resolution and that you can report back.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 am 
forum fanatic

Turkish Airlines flew my Greenland II and Aluet, plus an upwind sail kitfree of charge from USA to Montenegro on two separate flights as accompanied sports equipment.
Do they fly Begrade - Istanbul - Ireland?

Folbots: Greenland, Aluet, Cooper
Two Atlyaks
Kleppers: Passat and Master
Inflatables: Coleman and Intex
Rigid: Mirror dinghy, Chrysler 23 and Westerly GK29