Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm 
Hi, Everyone.

I'm in the market for a new kayak. I don't want a roof rack, and the sectional kayaks from Point 65 N don't fit real well in my Kia Soul. Thus, I'm looking for a kayak with the following qualities:

Under $2000
Stable
Comfortable Seat
Quick Assembly Time with Minimal Hassle

I'm going to be kayaking primarily in back bays and estuaries with mild to moderate wind.

I'm leaning towards the Oru Bay + because it seems to have a comfortable seat and the set up time is minimal. However, from what I've read it's not the most stable boat.

Any advice you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:27 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Take a look at Pakboats, as well. They have been liquidating the Quest series, which might work well for you. Looking at your priorities, you may also find Folbot of interest.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:09 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Depending on your size, either a Pakboats Quest 135 or 155 seems like they might suit your needs well. The seat is the most comfy kayak seat I've ever experienced, and it offers a nice balance of stability and decent speed.

It doesn't assemble as quickly as the Oru, but it's still reasonably fast. I can put mine together in about 25-30 min at a fairly leisurely pace.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:38 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Bryan, we can offer better advice if you give us more information, notably your height and weight. Paddler size is a critical issue in kayak selection.

In terms of bang for the buck it's hard to beat the Pakboats. I've owned both an XT-15 and a Puffin and just bought one of their discontinued Quest 135's. They no longer have any 155's in stock, but if you are an average sized guy (under 5' 10" and 180 lbs) you could probably fit the 135 and they are selling them at 25% off right now. If you are a larger guy they still have some XT-16 and 17 models in stock. I'm not concerned about them discontinuing the models because I have found Pakboat has parts and service for older boats -- I was able to get a replacement deck for my vintage Puffin from them last year.

Pakboats are light, easy to set up, very stable due to the inflatable sponsons along the sides and have a really comfortable seat. You do need to buy one of their foot brace options (the boats do not come with this). The inflatable one works fairly well but I will probably install frame mounted regular foot braces in the new boat.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:09 pm 

Kerry, Much happiness with your new Q 135. It seems to tick all the right boxes: lightweight, comfortable, relatively efficient and easy(?) to assemble. I'd certainly like to know just how quick and easy it actually is to put together. Wonder why they didn't include a simple cross bar footbrace? Let us know how it stacks up against your Wisper. Good luck.
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:58 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The pakboats footrests are a yakima type giving full and easy adjustability and rock solid foot location. I highly recommend them as being as good as any hardshell footrests. However, if you have short legs like me, the second rib from the bow works really well as a heel rest instead and saves some weight (easier/better for pushing against than the ball of the foot too)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:55 pm 
Thank you each for your advice. I truly appreciate it. I'm greatly considering your input. I'm 5'11, and 170. My frame is on the narrower side. I am most grateful for any additional input you can provide. I plan on kayaking on the San Jacinto River, bayous, lakes, and sheltered waterways in close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

The Long Haul Ute is another possibility if you're the right size for it. Goes together in minutes and it'll outlast you.

The Oru is a very clever design,but as far as seaworthiness, repairability, and longevity is concerned it's just not in the same category as these other boats. It has a one-year warranty, which tells you how long the makers think it will last.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:25 pm 

bryancorbin wrote:
Thank you each for your advice. I truly appreciate it. I'm greatly considering your input. I'm 5'11, and 170. My frame is on the narrower side. I am most grateful for any additional input you can provide. I plan on kayaking on the San Jacinto River, bayous, lakes, and sheltered waterways in close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico.

The Pakboats Quest 155 probably would have fit you well, but unfortunately it's discontinued. The Ute might work well, but I'm unsure of the price.

Just to make sure you know, Folbot appears to be out of business, so the Cooper is probably not an option, though you might be able to find one for cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:44 pm 
faltbootemeister

Yes, Folbot is "in reorganization" whatever that means.

Right now it means they are not doing business. If worse comes to worst, never again.
Obviously, if you want one, you'll have to haunt the internet sales places as there are very few here on foldingkayaks. Let's hope that changes as the word gets out.

For weight and price, you'll probably need to go to Pakboats. They make good boats.

I've seen the Oru and can't imagine (well, actually, I can) what a few years of summer sun will do to the plastic. SoF folders, with proper care, last decades, not years. You can pass them down to your grandkids. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of old Kleppers and Folbots from the 1950s and '60s that are still seaworthy. I have a late 1940s folding Folbot Super (TSF) that still floats.