Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:36 pm 
I'm a long time kayaker, both whitewater and sea. I've been wanting to paddle the Horton River in northern canada for a long time. Its a 20+ day trip, and its hard to get equipment in there by small float plane so I've been thinking about using our feathercraft k1s. It is not a hard river. Lots of read and run class 1 with a couple class 2 drops. I'm wondering if anyone has used a feathercraft or its like on rivers and what their experience was like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:44 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I would not do this in a folder, but it can be done. I have been on the Horton in a canoe and, while the river is never the same, the class 2s were roiling/boiling and easy to pick through without danger of striking rock. But that was 20 years ago, we were on the river in early June, and it was really moving. Your results may vary :-) "You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you."

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:16 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

We bought a Pakboat XT-15 kayak some years ago from a fishing guide who used both the Pakboat kayaks and the Pakboat PakCanoes for trips with his clients on rocky shallow rivers in Alaska and Patagonia and who reported being happy with them for that purpose. If you were to take your Feathercraft, I would suggest glueing some extra "sacrificial" skid plates of material along the hull. And be sure and take a well supplied field patch kit.

The bigger problem I have found with folders on shallow, gravelly streams is not so much punctures as that they get bogged down on sandbars and shallows and are more of a pain to drag to deeper water than a hardshell. On one such trip we found that the 6' x 12' plastic tarp I had along to go under the tent was handy to slip under the boat when we got hung up on a gravel bar, enabling us to cradle the hull to drag it over the streambed without scuffing it too much.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15