Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aluet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:20 am 
forum fan

hello i am looking for a folbot, was leaning towards the Greenland II but there is an aleut for sale in my area. About $900. I was wondering how old this boat is. He said he imported it from the US in 2005. Was it still in production at that ttime, i wonder, or did he buy it used?

Also, I have a Balogha sail rig and am interested in sailing it. It has aluminum sideboards and a rudder. Will it sail well?

thanks for any help
joe

Post subject: Re: Aluet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

The aluminum coaming models are the newer version. They're stiffer than the old synthetic ones and boats equipped with them should sail better. Does this boat have the aluminum tubing ribs, or the older plastic ribs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:29 am 
forum fan

Yes, it has the aluminum tubing, as well. I imagine there would be some way to hang a balogh sail rig on it. Could you tell me what are the best purposes for a boat like this? I have to say that i have never considered anything other than the Greenland II. But maybe i dont need that much boat, afterall. Do you think $900 cdn is a reasonable price. It looks like it is about half of the original pricr, or thereabouts.
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:35 pm 
faltbootemeister

If it's in good condition, it's probably worth $900, especially if it has the aluminum crossframes and washboards.
You'll need a rudder for sailing. Does it have one?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:27 am 
forum fan

Yes, it has a rudder. I dont know if it is a rudder that would be suitable for sailing, though. I haven't seen it.
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:33 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The rudder would probably be ok, with some experience you could modify it later if you think you need to. Now the sail rig, if i remember correct the Aluet is 12ft long and 30 in beam. You would probably be advised to have an outrigger. If you tell the members what size sail you have i am sure the more experienced sailers will try to help, you can post it here, in the Folbot section or better still in the sailing section.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:19 pm 
forum fan

I am becoming very boat heavy! I have now two canoes, an old folbot super, a awilderness systems sit on top that i have the sail rigged on, plus a double kayak that i built myself, plus a little river runner plastic kayak. I should really be lightening up, rather than buying more.

For this reason i was thinking of passing. But, the owner has just offered it to me for $750 cdn. That includes the paddles, a little cart and the rudder. I was wondering about selling the wilderness systems. But, i wont get much for it, i dont imagine, maybe not worth selling. It is in good shape but from about 2000.

Now,regarding this boat. I have a mark balogh sail rig, which does have outriggers, or pontoons, or whatever you call them.

But how would you connect those aluminum crossbars to the washboards of the Aleut? And how do you fit a mast step into a foldrer like that?

Also, at 12 feet, how does it handle and sail?

Lots of questions.
Thanks joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:32 pm 
forum fan

I was just looking for reviews and notrd that the aleut can carry 250 lbs. I am 220 myself. So, is the boat too small for me?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

joe wrote:
I was just looking for reviews and notrd that the aleut can carry 250 lbs. I am 220 myself. So, is the boat too small for me?

I've paddled it at 220, and it's very stable carrying that weight with plenty of freeboard, but it's faster if you keep it under 180. The slightly longer but otherwise identical Yukon is better for paddlers heavier than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:20 pm 
forum fan

Well, i am a pest. My wife has been following this discussion and has finally convinced me that we have enough boats. Sorry to bother you all. If it was a Greenland II, i am not sure i could have resisted. If any of you are in northern new york state or vermont, this could be a good boat for you. He is now offering it for $850 ( that's canadian, dont forget, so quite a bit less in U.S. Dollars) and it looks in excellent shape.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:42 am 
faltbootemeister

There's no such thing as too many boats. :)
$750 CDN would be an excellent price and you can get all the help you need for mounting the Balough rig on it from Balough and from Sail Your Kayak.
Your weight is no problem as Folbot's payload specifications are very conservative. As with any boat, the payload is limited by your desired freeboard (well, and the structural strength of the boat itself).
And, yes, the stock rudder will work perfectly fine to start with.