Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:13 pm 
paddler

Hi
Im going to look at a used folding kayak tomorrow. First i ask for help about what brand it is (the seller doesnt know), but hes ben kayaking on greenland with it so i guess and hope its a good one..?
Then i also ask if someone has any tips for the first buy.
It has aluminium skelleton, so i guess its no Klepper or Russian one. I will try to post some pictures here..

Thanx for help!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:15 pm 
paddler

I buyed it today, and we are in love in it. Hope it is so good that we think. The Middle hole is smart i think becourse if you want to go out alone, you just move the seat and ju will paddle from the center.
I also know little more about it. Its only mode a few, maybee only this.. Its made in Netherlands for an greenland expedition. Ben there twice (the kayak).
Is very sturdy, and well made.. Easy to build. But not very easy to carry around. But maybee i will make some bags for it.
In first place we brought it to have in our sailboat and smal weekends with car. Train and airplane will be little hard with the bag setup we have now.
The maker of the kayak has sign it with a big M in the front. So if someone know who it can be im gladly take some tips.
Most becourse i want to rigg it with sail and rudder (its prepared for it). I guess i will manage but its nice to hear what parts the builder had in thought..
Excuse for my maybee little wierd english.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:04 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

What a great find. Looking forward to pictures of the frame and to hearing about your adventures. There must be so many places in Sweden and Norway that you'll be able to visit in summer and which you couldn't in a sailing boat.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by siravingmon on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 pm 
forum fanatic

Very nice kayak! I'd also like to know what kind it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I wonder if the kayak was made by Montbell? They had a kayak line that was marketed most recently in Japan. They could have been contracted to make those special boats. Their standard kayaks have more open tandem cockpits. Here is a Japanese site with photos of some of their kayaks.

http://event.montbell.jp/plan/?cid=7

And a site in English showing some models of Montbell folding kayaks.

http://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/li ... ory=801000

There are some YOuTube videos of people using MOntbell folding kayaks. Do these look similar to yours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi5sTo_n1es

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHg3pN7YFmE

I have seen some of their products that have the letter M in that style (that looks like mountains.)

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:29 am 
paddler

Thanx for all replys!
Intresting theory with the Montbell. They realy seem to have a lot incomon.
Yes Sweden and Norway has realy good kayaking places. Right now we live i Denmark. So this summer will be some smaler adventures around Copenhagen. But one of my Dreams is to sail up to Norway (Lofoten, Tromsö)and look at, and paddle with the killerwhales.. But before that we will go to many places in Sweden and Denmark.
I will go out and build the kayak now, so i will take some pictures on the skelleton etc..
Ps
My computer is broken, so not only that im not used to write in english, i also write on my cellphone (with swedish autocorrect), so pardon for bad language. Hopefully it get better..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Your English is fine - this is an international forum and the more paddlers fron different countries we get the better. Velkommen! :D

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:39 am 
paddler

Was out for some kayaking yesterday. It was nice, but it was little slower then i thought. But maybee it will be little faster with other paddles. However i also took som pictures when i build it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

Aniara,

Are those zippers that run on both sides of the deck along the cockpit area? The kayak might be a Sigma from Kayak Lab. The zippers were used to adjust the beam by allowing the sponsons to expand for more stability. The company (long out of business) was located in the states (east coast I think) but I'm not sure if it was made in America or imported. What ever it is I hope you enjoy paddling it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:17 pm 
paddler

Hi Jeremiah!
Thanks for your input. Thats right the zippers on the sides are adjusting the beam. So i will try to look att some kayaks from Kayak Labs. Ive found dates on plastic pipes that is around the cockpits, they say 1998. Was kajak Labs active that time?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with the Kayak Labs ID, based on the rib shape. If the boat has a polyurethane hull, it's definitely a Kayak Labs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:51 am 
paddler

Okej, i have The feeling that the kayak Labs id so correct.
Bit i cant tell for sure if the hull i made of polyurethane.
Its thick,strong and shiny. Like in good rubberboats.
After som reading about Kayak Labs i think its intresting that the kayak ended up in Denmark.
What do you guys and girls think about Kayak Labs?
Is here anyone that owned one?
Some ideas about rudder and sail that could fit?
I will ofc take some more pictures on the hull and the fittings for rudder and sail.
Thanks for helping me out!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:18 pm 
faltbootemeister

Aniara,

I found out about Kayak Labs by way of The Folding Kayaker newsletter from Ralph Diaz. He wrote a thorough review of one (maybe two) of their kayaks. If there was a way to access the newsletter archive you could find what may be the only review of this short lived kayak.

After I read the review I contacted the company and they sent me swatches of the hull. My impression of this kayak was that it had a simple design (except for the zippered deck/sponson thing) yet looked like it was very durable, given the thickness of the hull material.