Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aqua Glide
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm 
recent arrival

New member here and new to the kayaking world. I bought my first kayak (inflatable) last year. The Sea Eagle 370. I enjoyed it but at more than 12 feet it was uncomfortably long. I took it out recently to wash it and found it buckled over the next afternoon, (all 3 bladders) Sea Eagle hasn't returned my calls and Amazon offered to accept it back (Great customer service).
After a bunch of homework I'm now considering the Aqua Glide Chinook and am asking for your help deciding between the 1 or 2 person. My needs are as follows: flat water only with rare use in the bay. I usually kayak alone but would like a little space for a 3-4 day outing bag.
The 1 person Chinook is just under 9 feet, The 2 person Chinook sits at 10 feet, and I rarely have a passenger and if I did it would not be on the outing with me in my kayak, as I have a cheaper Kayak (1 person) if I invite a friend.

I would welcome an opinion as to which one you suggest I would be happier with. I know its all up to me the user but I love hearing others thoughts on this matter. FYI, the cost difference is minimal and a non issue.

Thanks everyone.

Post subject: Re: Aqua Glide
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:45 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

First off, inflatables don't maintain their inflation indefinitely -- and if they are inflated on a warm day and left to sit in the cold overnight, or even having been in cooler water, they will tend to deflate as the cooler air contracts. Inflatables almost always have to have the pressure boosted over a day of use and definitely each time you take them out if they are stored set up. So I question your evaluation that the 370 is "defective" unless you can actually detect leaks (by holding the inflated tubes under water in the bathtub or a pool).

Second, as with all boats, longer ones track more straight and give you more buoyancy without having to be excessively wide. If you are going to venture out on an open water bay or windy lake, a longer boat would be a better choice. Inflatables are susceptible to wind anyway, more so than hardshell or folding kayaks, so a short inflatable may leave you stranded far from shore with great difficulty paddling back in against currents and winds.

You don't mention your physical size -- height and weight are strong determining factors in what boat fits best. The Sea Eagle 370 is pretty low end -- barely a step up from a pool toy. I would not take one into open water. In fact, I would not take ANY boat under 14 feet long into open water.

If you are serious about kayaking you would do well to look at better models. Sea Eagles newer Razorlite line is more than twice the price but has gotten some good reviews -- I have no experience with them but they apparently have much stiffer hulls (the drop-stitch design) and lower profile which has to improve performance. Aquaglide are nicer boats than the low end Sea Eagles but still have some of the drawbacks.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Post subject: Re: Aqua Glide
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:35 pm 
paddler

What he said.

Yes, and 12' long is very short for a sea kayak, or touring kayak, which are made longer to track well, and to offer some decent speed for minimal paddling effort.

Sounds like you only need a flat-water, or river kayak.

Longer ones are faster and track straighter, whereas many river kayaks usually don't paddle straight, unless you attach a slip-on skeg or rudder to the stern. River kayaks are generally made for playing in rough water, and eddies, where you want them to be able to spin in place. They can also be good for surfing in the ocean waves.