Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm 
recent arrival

Newbie here in the forum and also the beginner for the kayak. My budget is under 1.5k USD looking for the stable kayak and good for a long time for the trip down to the river or flat water ( Missouri river or Current River of the Ozark mountain). I heard a good thing about AdvancedFrame tandem kayak on Amazon, are they really good?

Please, help

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 am 
forum fanatic

Welcome!

You may want to better define your needs, so that others can help you. Your "long time....trip" means at least one overnight camping? That would demands some cargo volume.

Sense of stability (wobbly or not) usually means primary stability. Tendency to completely tip over is secondary stability. Most wide (> 30") boats have high relative primary stability. But 1st and 2nd stability are not necessarily related. For example, my 24.2" wide kayak feels wobbly, but is actually difficult to tip over (I have stood up on it and tipped it over many times on purpose, to see where its limit is).

Paddles play huge roles in stability, speed and tracking too. Once you get used to it, you may be able to stand up and track straight in a kayak that others consider as "unstable" and "does not track straight".

Most low pressure (< 3 psi) inflatables are quite wide and thus have great primary stability.

Cargo volume of AE Convertible may not be that great though, as it uses a dual bladder system. Between drop stitch floor and BackBone, I think I will go with the much cheaper BackBone, as performance is not too different.

If you have a little more space, maybe look into offerings of Snap Kayaks, which is US distributor of Point 65 kayaks. They sell sectional (Lego) hard shell kayaks.

Pakboat Saranac is likely a good option too and should retain its used value better than most inflatables.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:12 pm 
recent arrival

Sorry for the confusing, last for a long time meaning the kayak last for a while, the floating trip about 2-3 days with gears. Someone here recommended the sea eagle razorlite 473rl but for the fall season and winter, without top deck when paddling, water gets to the body, it might get cold. I have the Aquaglide Chinook Tandem, very stable but when paddling again the wind very hard to get it going. Is this the same thing with AdvancedFrame tandem even they use the aluminum frame?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 am 
forum fanatic

Most inflatables have deep side chambers that get caught in the wind, which make them poor performers against wind. I am not sure if AE will be any better.

To paddle against the wind a lot, you may want a very shallow hull. The deck would have to curve up to provide cargo space and shade from water and wind.