Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TROLLING MOTORS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Yes Dennis, Greg has done a fantastic job both in the idea and the workmanship. Coming up with the way to do it would have stumped many of us. Since coming to Scilly (pronounced silly) I have only used the Triak. But next year I intend to get a Klepper out now I have found some Boeshield at a reasonable price. I can,t leave my A2 assembled as the yard is narrow with a narrow door going out into the road at the back. and there is the Triak and a Hobie Tandem Islander which I let our visitors use. Also I have a semi-recumbent battery assist trike. As I have always assembled the folders at the lake side it,s no problem to assemble one on a nice piece of mowed grass then put it on a cart and wheel it down to the beach for final assembly. So far I havn.t found anywhere to leave them inside (boathouse or shed) but still available to work on. The local sailing club had small kayaks but left them outside. The Torqeedo looks the best if I can find the funds. I have tried to contact Vorta about their DX3 but as I have not had any replies it seems they have gone. I could try a low cost outboard but have to see how I can place it, I have always paddled from the rear seat. If I remember correct when Folbot made an arm for an outboard on the side, they put a weight on the opposite side to where the outboard fitted. Both Klepper and Hobie attach the motors to a rudder so it should be possible to come up with a way to do it and still have some control of the switches or at least be able to switch the motor on and off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am 

John, Klepper made a nice wooden outboard mount many years ago. I have one and it's pretty nice. I use it to clamp fishing rods onto the boat sometimes.

It's a wood bar with a (trolling motor sized) engine clamp mounting area on one end. It clamp mounts across the cockpit with a second bar running the width of the cockpit reaching just underneath the coaming on both sides. The two wooden bars create a large clamp across the cockpit held with tightening screws on either end. It's a very clean and simple solution... but you might need to move your paddling seat up, or perhaps easier still put the motor more towards the center. Probably a better idea actually for control and accessibility.

Locking the motor straight should allow you to steer with the boats rudder.

I didn't search much, but here's a link from Long Haul: http://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/product/wooden-motor-mount-special-order/

Hanging a ballast bag of water off the other end of the mounting board should do nicely for balancing the load. A lee board on the opposite side of the motor may help tracking and rudder authority as well.

If I were to do this, I'd go with this Klepper mount and the Torqeedo motor (because I'm far lazier than Greg, ha). The mount can always be improved upon later when Greg starts manufacturing them. Dealing with ocean currents and weather... I think this kind of backup is a great idea.

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:51 am 

Dennis, in the latest Klepper catalog their is still the mount and I like the way it clamps. One of my ideas is to move a motor forward. Of course for balance I could put a motor on each side, (will a Klepper plane) the cheapest over here from Amazon is just under £80 and I could probably, with some thought, attach them to my outrigger arms. so with those batteries you suggest it could be an interesting set up. and at lower cost than the Torqeedo. But of course I would prefer Torqeedo and I have found a dealer that sells the outfit £300 below list, but still expensive at £1,195

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 am 

John I think moving the motor forward would be fine. As mentioned you could ballast it with a flexible water bag on the opposite side.

Torqeedo would be best, but expensive I agree. Just saw this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZon-oBe3Ng, I thought I heard $1100 mentioned in there.

A good watertight battery system is where you're going to run into trouble with the cheaper versions... would be my guess.

Staying tuned.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:02 pm 

Yes the Torqeedo is the one to save for, Hobie use it in their system and they say the 320 lithium battery is buoyant and completely waterproof. They don,t mention the plugs or connections. Their solar system looks interesting as the boat is supposed to move at 2 knot on solar power only, providing there is good sun conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:55 am 

I have just received some info from the Australian company about the Vorta DX3. The Dx3 is being replaced by a DX4 and it will be a sort of kit like the Toqeedo although I have not had complete details, As soon as I know more and the price I will let everyone know. This DX4 will have more power than the DX3. I found they take a long time to answer e-mails or messages on their facebook.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am 

I have now received the following from the Australian Co about the DX3. The battery they will be supplying weighs 7.8KG, just over 17lb and this will give an endurance of 4 to 5 hours at an enjoyable cruising speed. The DX3 and battery combined weigh 9.9 kg which is comparable to the Torqeedo at 8.9 kg. I don.t know if the new DX4 is the same weight as the DX3. Unfortunatly they have not yet told me the price of the unit so I will chase them about this. I don,t know how this will compare in performanance to the Torqeedo.