Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some bad luck
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I was loading my bicycle and Feathercraft Kurrent into the Forester in preparation for the long drive down to Florida when I slipped on a spot of ice in the driveway and went down hard on the concrete resulting in a dislocated right shoulder. I'm now wearing a sling to immobilize arm and, because the healing process for a shoulder dislocation can be lengthy, it looks like I won't be doing any paddling for a couple of months. So I'll probably just leave the Kurrent here in its bag until we return in April. I'm afraid that if I take the boat with me, I'd be inclined to use it before the dislocation was completely healed and some unexpected move like a reflexive high brace might result in another dislocation. I'm interested in hearing from any paddler who has experienced a shoulder dislocation and how long it took get back to paddling. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Some bad luck
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I dislocated my shoulder paddling. I started back paddling 10 days later with the blessing of my orthopedist. I used a Toksook paddle for support for a bit and then a Greenland paddle. Took a while to get built back up. Hurt like hell when I did it..

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 pm 

Thanks for relating your own personal experience. I've just today arrived in Florida sans Kurrent with an appointment with an ortho doc next week and probably a bit of PT after that. If the orthopedist thinks that paddling will be OK, maybe I'll order myself a new Safari. Looks like a fun little IK for the money. I just don't want to rush things and cause another dislocation. That hurt almost as much as when I fell on my butt on a slippery concrete launching ramp and crushed a lower vertebra.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:02 pm 
faltbootemeister

I dislocated my left shoulder 5-1/2 years ago. The prescription was three weeks in a sling, followed by PT. I couldn't stand the sling, and wore it infrequently. Before the three weeks was up I was rowing cautiously, and sailing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 pm 

Thanks, John. Yes, the sling is a real PITA especially in that it makes me almost totally dependent on my left hand. My table manners have become abysmal but I have an appointment with an orthopedist here in Florida on Friday and hope that I'll get some good news though I'm sure I'm not going to get an OK to paddle for awhile so I think I made the right decision in leaving my Kurrent back in New Jersey. Bicycling might be allowed as soon as I can lose the sling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 am 
faltbootemeister

Good luck with it. When I dislocated mine in a fall, I pulled and pushed it back in. It fell right back out again, so I went to the hospital. Therapy took a while to regain strength and flexibility, but it never dislocated again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:00 am 
paddler

I think it depends on how seriously injured you are.

I friend of mine still have problems 2 years after his injury.

Jonas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I dislocated my right shoulder in a motorcycle accident years ago. Took a solid year before it was close to normal again. But I wasn't paddling back in those days which might have been a nice therapy. The good news was that I was able to predict rain for about three years afterwards. hahaha.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery. Time to get a sail!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP