Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1959 klepper
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:40 pm 
Yes I have me a flag :D

Thanks again springwalker.

Can you give me a link for the silver wax please, Have googled it but can't find anyone who sells it.

Thanks for your advice as always.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:16 pm 
It's no longer available for sale on the market. If you are interested, i would sell bec. my actual boat has a PVC-skin. Had sent you a private message through the forum, 2 times, but it lookes like that it did not went through.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:56 pm 
Thanks springwalker.

Have decided to sell her on as I have had a few good offers here in the UK, so have put it to auction starting tonight (UK) only.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Happy paddling.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:05 pm 
Hey Springwalker,

You reckon that silver wax would be of use on an older Pionier 450-S? I'm not sure how to tell if its hull is PVC or rubber. It is a silver gray in color.

Thanks,

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:11 pm 
It is rubber. PVC for skins was used on eastern german (GDR) older boats only, like Pouch and MTW (Kolibri). Western german older boats like your 450S had skins from rubber. That wax will make your Pioneer's skin nearly look as new. Send me a pm and we can make an arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm 
Very nice boat, but ... please, set the "Klepper" flag at the bow as a "jack". The stern is exclusive for the ensign. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Springwalker wrote:
It's no longer available for sale on the market. If you are interested, i would sell bec. my actual boat has a PVC-skin. Had sent you a private message through the forum, 2 times, but it lookes like that it did not went through.

I am interested in the silverwax for a 1962 Klepper T9. Do you still have it and are you still interested in selling it? Are you in the uk? (I'm in Cambridge.)
Thanks.
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:49 pm 
I bought it. If you're ever in Southern Middle Tennessee, bring the Klepper and you can use some.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:18 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Christov_Tenn wrote:
I bought it. If you're ever in Southern Middle Tennessee, bring the Klepper and you can use some.

Thanks, Christov. I'll be sure to look you up if I'm ever down that way. I'm sure you could show me some good places to paddle. :-)

All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm 
You know, Mark at Longhaul Folding Kayaks may have some?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:42 pm 
recent arrival

Hello, I´m newbie in this forum, I´m an spanish kayaker that bought last year a good Klepper Aerius II from around 1960-65, because the frame is the same, identical backrests with klepper decal and seats, and the hull is very similar, its only different ín flag at stern, it´s of white fabric an is sewed to the deck, and the name:at stern " Fbg 380 Klepper Aerius" and near bow the word "Chanderli" (It could be owner name, or kayak club name? I don´t know... ).
¿Could I use other kind of wax for recover the silver hull of my klepper? it´s in a good condition, but in some parts need recover the protection coat.

I´m thinking in floor wax, or any kind of vegetable wax mixed with other chemical component...

Thanks for this forum, here in spain, There aren´t much klepper owners and find some info is very hard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I bought an old Klepper aerius 2 and it looks as old although i think mine is from the 1960s, some of my blue rod holders no longer gripped the rods and they "popped" out so i replaced all of them, but if yours don,t, there,s no need to replace them but right now they are as "cheap!" as they ever will be, you could get a new set and hold onto them. I think you mentioned stability, these "old" boats are just as good as the new ones, they are the same shape and dimentions and a new hull (skin) will fit. Seats you will probably find they are a torture device (in my opinion) i fitted the first molded type and still i needed pads which i bought from "swoosh" you don,t have a deck perimiter line, now everone has them but don,t worry about it you won,t capsize unless you are in big waves and it,s likley you won,t be out in such conditions. Dr Hannes Lindermann didn,t have them and he crossed the Atlantic, he capsized twice in Hurricanes. Welcome to the Klepper family and the forum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:14 am 

Slinger someone said you have a flag, as you are in Cornwall you must fly this one, it,s on my Pacific Action sail on one of my Aerius 2s. Wifey comes from the Scillies.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:18 am 
Hi all I own a tyne double folder, have been given a Granta double with full sailing rig( have yet to collect). Have also been promised a late sixties Klepper. Al lneed work of some sort, i have been out in the Tyne, and it seeps rather than leaks, does anyone know what i can paint the hull fabric with, it is the original. Would appreciate any information. Regards Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm 

I would suggest you contact the Historical Canoe and Kayak association in the UK at www.hcka.org.uk their members have worked on quite a few resorations. The klepper will be easier to repair, all parts if required can be obtained from Klepper. They use to have "hull paint" but i am pretty sure this was discontinued years ago. The book 'Complete Folding Kayaker' by Ralph Diaz might help as this is full of advice on all aspects of folders.