Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: registration and tax
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm 
I went to the county office to register my Wisper. It is required to register any boat longer than 13' in IOWA. A few days later they called me for misspelling my name and asked me to pay 6% tax which is about $240. I am so upset. I looked on web and found many coastal states and a few neighbor states don't even require kayaks / canoes to register. Is there a way to avoid the tax? I am really thinking about getting out of this dry land which is one of the reason that I don't want to pay the tax.

Post subject: Re: registration and tax
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:57 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Filbert, I'm sure that the registration is just a way that your state government uses to make sure they scam you for the sales tax. You probably don't get anything in the way of user services for the money except to pay the enforcers. There may be ways around it, assuming you haven't paid the "tax" yet, but probably none of them are legal. I think that your thought about moving has merit, some place where the paddling is good and tax free.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

You don't have to register it- they may not know it's a kayak. I looked up the actual Iowa law and found this:

From http://www.boater101.com/Course/documen ... telaws.pdf

You must have an Iowa Registration Certificate and registration decals to legally operate a
vessel on Iowa’s public waters. Exemptions include:
• Inflatable vessels that are 7 feet or less in length and have no motor or sail.
• Canoes and kayaks that are 13 feet or less in length and have no engine or sail.
• Vessels properly registered in another state and using Iowa waters for 60 or fewer days
within one calendar year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
faltbootemeister

Right.

You ~Could~ move. But with so many government entities (of every level) turning to alternate methods of pumping up revenue flows, the likelihood that areas not currently charging such use fees and taxes will be doing so in the not too distant. Move, if you must, but beware of a hungry government. It's insidious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:37 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The Wisper has a *waterline length* of 13 feet 11 inches, close enough to 13 to make it worth faking a bit. So what are they going to do, throw you in paddler's prison? If that happens then you should definitely move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 pm 
Thanks Michael, didn't they say 13'? I don't know how long I can pretend to be from other states. I'm sure I'll catch people's attention if I keep practice rolling.

Jake, maybe a penalty fine and some embarrassment. The new chief here raided on hookers and installed many traffic cameras.

Kenton, where do you paddle? I met a girl from Arizona last year at a kayaking camp who said literally there is no water there. Don't remember where exactly she's from.