Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skin shrinking?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 am 
My first post, I don't have a folding kayak, but a Klepper Master folding dinghy. The skin of the boat(original skin at least 30 years old) seems to be shrinking, is there a way to stretch it? The skin has a rope sewed on the gunnel edges that fit into a groove in a wooden gunnel. The wooden gunnel locks into the framework. The joint between the top fabric skin and the rubberized bottom skin has begun to tear from the stress. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Skin shrinking?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Not really. When rubber shrinks, usually from heat, it's permanent. But Long Haul can make you a replacement Hypalon hull and sew it to the deck of your boat, and the Hypalon will outlast you. I had them make one for my Master.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:46 am 
How much money or at least a range? Have you ever transported your Master assembled? I have about a 30 minute drive to sail and I want to save the 35 minute boat assemble if possible. Transport would be on a utility travel with some bouncing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

I think I paid around $500 several years ago for one of the first hulls LH did. You'll have to talk to Mark for a more current price. I never tried carrying it assembled. I found it very quick to assemble, so there was no need. If you lay out the frame parts before starting assembly, and do it the same way every time, you'll quickly get your assembly time down under 20 minutes.

I sold my Master some years ago as I decided it was too small for me to row comfortably, and I didn't have a sail kit for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:24 pm 
I sail the Master, so the rigging takes a few minutes and I guess this is a common folding boat problem, if there is anyone at the launch site, I have to answer many questions. The last 2 times I have assembled the boat one of the "ears"(for lake of a better term) that connect the frames to the stringers has broken off. If you remember your Master, these are in pairs on a common plate. Do you know of a source for these? Perhaps Mark at Long Haul or someone else?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi JJC, can't help with your question... but, I have one of my own. I've asked several times here and there about how well the Master actually sails and I never get a real answer. Can you give some insight into how well this boat sails? I love sailing and I love the folding boats... I keep thinking about a Master but the price usually scares me away. Any insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 pm 
She sails better than she rows! The Master is too narrow to row well. She is a 2 person boat. She is fun to sail alone, but she is a little tippy. I've had the boat for a couple of season and I'm finally getting the hang of it. I have found the the position of the leeboards needs tweeking as the wind speed changes to adjust the helm to neutral. Until I learned to tweek the leeboards, she did not tack well.
I have also have sailed her reefed, which is rolling the mail sail around the boom. I would say she sail like most small sloop rigged boat, maybe a bit slower, of course the other small sloop rigged boat where I sail are longer. I mostly lake sail, but have sailed her on the ICW in South Carolina. If you really want a Master. let me know, I'm looking for a little larger boat, and I don't have a lot in this boat, I bought mine from a newly wed with too many boat for his new wife.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 pm 
The rope sewn into the gunwales may have shrunk and made your skin shrink with it. Try unstitching one end and see if that helps. Bolt ropes in sails shrink and sailmakers just unstitch the tack end and resew it. It might save you some money.
Jeff