Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sponson question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I just repaired a leaking sponson in my new/old K Light Plus. Aquaseal seems to do the repair quite well but if I ever want to replace a sponson, FC charges about $74 for a new, 11 foot inflatable sausage whlle an 11 footer from Folbot is $34. Does anyone know if I can use the Folbot sponson in the K Light?

Post subject: Re: sponson question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I don't know why not as long as it is the same length and approximately the same or wider width. You can also make your own sponsons and float bags. The book "Building the Greenland Kayak" has directions. I've been planning to make some custom flotation for my Pakboats using the instructions. ONly advantage I can see to FC replacements is the nylon protective sleeve -- something I could easily sew.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I think there's a pretty good chance Tom Yost has instructions on making your own as well. Check the 'Homemade Kayaks' section in the forum.

Kerry, I didn't know the Greenland Kayak used sponsons? I might like to make some for my T9... How do you connect the sponson at the ends? Do you make a sleeve that's sewn in during hull construction? or is there a 'post' construction method? Ah you've got the wheels turning. I wonder if heavy duty velcro would work. I have a couple of spare AII sponsons, maybe I can convert my Expedition AII into a quatro...

I think the advantage to buying the readymade is that the inflation tube comes out where it's designed to come out on that particular boat.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm not aware of any Greenland kayaks that use sponsons -- my response was confusing, I admit. What I meant was the Greenland kayak book has detailed directions for making vinyl flotation bags (which they DO use) and replica inflated sealskin floats (avataq?) but the technique is applicable to any inflatable shape.

I don't know why you couldn't put a sponson of some kind in a Greenland SOF boat. Put the tube in a fabric sleeve with velcro or some kind of ties attached to fasten it to the frame members. Such a tube could act as a partial flotation bag and offer some more snugness around the cockpit fit, I suppose. When I first got my SOF I did not have big enough float bags to fill the hull so I shoved foam pool noodles in along both gunwales all the way to the bow and stern and wedged my Feathercraft float bags in between them. The hexagonal pool noodles helped me brace my thighs (I've installed a masik since then.)

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15