Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:39 am 
I am toying with the idea of buying a cart. Most of the time the boat is transported in assembled condition from home. My Long Haul Mk1 in particular is heavy to carry single handed for any appreciable distance. Then leaving the boat to go back to the car for the rest of the stuff is asking for trouble. We often have an assortment of ne'er-do-wells hanging around the parks in South Florida. A cart would solve the problem methinks. If you have used a cart, what do you think? I am looking at a Rolleeze (sp?) that has very fat, low pressure tires that are claimed work on sand. Anyone have one of these? Any other brands that I should also consider?

Thanks,

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Bill, my favorite cart is one that I made from a double jogging stroller. You see these at tag/yard sales pretty frequently - I asked a neighbor who's kids were in school if they still wanted the stroller that was slowly decaying in their yard - they were happy to see me drag it away.

It took a couple re-adjustments, but with a drill, hacksaw, screw driver and pliers I removed the front wheel/support and reconfigured the aluminum tubing and original fittings around the frame to make a tall kayak cart. The beauty of the jogging stroller is that the wheels are big - I think mine are about 20". This raises the cart considerably and you don't have that awkward bend in your back when pushing the boat around. The large wheels also roll down a beach really easily.

The beauty of the jogging stroller is that they fold up as well. So if you build your cart using the original layout you should still be able to fold it up. Unfortunately it's too big to fit in the kayak... but it will fit in the car or on the roof-rack -all though this doesn't help you too much when dealing with the riff-raff. Another thing I really like about the big cart is that it's wide enough to support the AII upside down on it's coaming so that you can alternately tilt both ends up into the air and drain the water very efficiently before pushing it home.

I have two of the original Klepper carts as well. For traveling I usually take one of these. They fold amazingly flat, fit in a bag that easily fits in the boat, and are just plain simple and efficient. I don't see why they wouldn't pull over sand without too much problem. The bigger tires might do better,
but the trade-off is size in the boat. I wonder how different a moderate thick tire is from a bicycle tire on the beach.

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP