Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:06 pm 
I have acquired an old wooden folding kayak that I know nothing about. I was hoping someone could give me a little more background on it.

It is an old wooden folding kayak. It appears to be made by a company called Metzeler and the model is a Hammer, faltboot seewolf (the brocher/instructions are in Germen).

It is 17 foot. It looks like new and does not appear to have even been put together. We put it together to make sure all the pieces are there - they are.

My guess is it is from the 70's because some pieces were wrapped in newspaper dated from 1978.

Anyone know anything about these kayaks. Does anyone still use them. What is something like this worth to the right buyer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Adam,
I got back to you on the sea kayak forum, but maybe you missed it, so....

Information on Hammer Metzelers here
http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2248&view=print
and here (in German I'm afraid so you'll need to use Google translate)
http://faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-metzeler-hammer-fb.html
They were basically a Klepper copy AFAIK. They've been out of production now for many years so I wouldn't think yours is very valuable as spare parts are non-existent (although Wayland in Poland may still make new hulls for them). I don't think there's much of a market for them outside Germany - the only place I've seen these for sale (on the German ebay.de. Put faltboot in and see what comes up)

PS nice find by the way! :D
Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Adam,
My brother paddles one that he acquired second hand for the price of a moderately expensive bottle of single malt whisky. It is always hard to say what these things are worth. I would happily take it off your hands for a similar price, if you are in the UK (?). The main difficulty is likely to be the skin, which if rubber on canvas may have aged over the years while in storage. If it is showing signs of cracking along the fold lines then it may cease/have ceased to be watertight. I think a certain amount of patching was necessary in my brother's kayak's case.
Simon's leads should give you more information, but if I recall rightly Hammer-Metzeler kayaks had a higher reputation while their kayaks were made in Germany, and reputedly quality suffered when they moved production to Poland, so it might make a difference if you can discover whether your Seewolf was built before or after that move.
I hope that helps. All the best,
Ian