Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 pm 
recent arrival

Hello everyone,

I am a new member on this forum. I am interested in buying a used Folding kayak from someone in the US. It is a Folbot Kodiak and with extra equipment I expect the total weight would be around 30-35 kg! Does anyone here have an idea how much the shipping costs would be from zip code 221.. to Germany?

Sincerely

Tom the Dane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

You can find this information at http://usps.com, http://ups.com or http://fedex.com.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

USPS, UPS or FedEx are not the cheapest options. Try to find a commercial shipping agent in your area. We used Lufthansa Cargo to ship the boat and some camping gear to Europe and back about 300 lbs.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Make friends with a US servicemember and it can be shipped cheap.
I had a bad experience with Lufthansa. YMMV

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

And remember to add import duty/tax on bioth the boat and the shipping cost

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 am 
faltbootemeister

tsunamichuck wrote:

Details of your bad experience could be useful to people considering that option. We had an excellent experience both ways. Packages arrived on time without damages, the cost was less than many other options and we were able to track them online.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm 

DoiNomazi wrote:
tsunamichuck wrote:

Details of your bad experience could be useful to people considering that option. We had an excellent experience both ways. Packages arrived on time without damages, the cost was less than many other options and we were able to track them online.

Cheers.

Well part of the blame lies with Wayland. What was supposed to be a door to door service to REno ended up needing to be picked up at Lufthansa in San Francisco. I was charged $150 by Lufthansa, $30/day for 4 days storage of a 24x24x12 in box, that I had no idea was there plus $30 for the transfer of the box from the plane to the warehouse.
Lufthansa execs need to be castrated, tied up and gang raped by The Oompah Loompahs!!!

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm 
faltbootemeister

tsunamichuck wrote:
Well part of the blame lies with Wayland. What was supposed to be a door to door service to REno ended up needing to be picked up at Lufthansa in San Francisco. I was charged $150 by Lufthansa, $30/day for 4 days storage of a 24x24x12 in box, that I had no idea was there plus $30 for the transfer of the box from the plane to the warehouse.
Lufthansa execs need to be castrated, tied up and gang raped by The Oompah Loompahs!!!

Hmm... So, you're blaming Lufthansa for bringing your package to US in one piece and on time..:) I'm afraid they did their job right. The person who made the shipment should have notified you about the conditions, times, etc. We had no problems at all, like I mentioned, we tracked the two boxes online and we knew exactly when to go to the airport, fill out the customs forms and pick them up.

It was much cheaper than USPS, FedEx or UPS and we had no problems shipping the two larger boxes. BTW we found them positioned exactly according to the arrow signs we attached to the boxes...:) No upside down gear...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 pm 

DoiNomazi wrote:
tsunamichuck wrote:

Hmm... So, you're blaming Lufthansa for bringing your package to US in one piece and on time..:) I'm afraid they did their job right. The person who made the shipment should have notified you about the conditions, times, etc. We had no problems at all, like I mentioned, we tracked the two boxes online and we knew exactly when to go to the airport, fill out the customs forms and pick them up.

It was much cheaper than USPS, FedEx or UPS and we had no problems shipping the two larger boxes. BTW we found them positioned exactly according to the arrow signs we attached to the boxes...:) No upside down gear...

No I am blaming those bloodsuckers for gouging me, Shipping was paid with the purchase and I ended up paying an additional $150 on top of shipping already paid. Even those stupid jackasses at United can not break a kayak skin. I would rather have crabs than give Lufthansa any business and I refuse to eat that [naughty word] Lufthansa provides other airlines serve as food.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 am 
faltbootemeister

tsunamichuck wrote:

No I am blaming those bloodsuckers for gouging me, Shipping was paid with the purchase and I ended up paying an additional $150 on top of shipping already paid. Even those stupid jackasses at United can not break a kayak skin. I would rather have crabs than give Lufthansa any business and I refuse to eat that [naughty word] Lufthansa provides other airlines serve as food.

OK. It seems that we are talking about different issues.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yeh, Lufthansa food really, really sucks. I didn't think it was possible for airline food to be that bad, at least not without actively trying....

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:54 am 
faltbootemeister

I must admit, I never checked the menu on a cargo flight. However, my yak and gear arrived without any change in weight, so, I guess they were asleep the whole time...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

That's another good thing about yaks. You never get any lip from them :D