Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolley
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am 
Aside from the eckla foldy can anyone recommend a trolley to transport my boat-to-be in its bag? Ideally the trolley would also convert to use with the boat assembled, but it must at least be dismantled or folded down so it can come with me paddling.

Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: Trolley
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:50 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

http://www.amazon.com/Malone-Clipper-De ... B004GYYY1W

This is my favorite, the soft tires roll on all but the deepest sand, it is corrosion resistant, and the wheels pop off with easy pin connectors that go through the axels. Mine fits in the back of my quattro, I keep it in an old laundry bag to keep it from rubbing against the hull.

Just my $.02.

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 pm 
Thanks Greg, I need one that also has some kind of upright handles to wheel the bagged boat around, like an old ladies shopping trolley.

I should probably add, one that is available in this side of the pond please.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

http://marktozer.blogspot.it/2007/02/kayak-trolley.html looks good to me, as long as you could attach the kayak in bag on top of it and use the handle on the bag to pull it along.

The problem I've had with the universal trolleys is that they don't work for carrying the boat in the bag very well and mine at least trips up and falls over in the direction of travel a lot over bumps when I'm hauling the unfolded kayak along

The Eckla system looks like the best compromise but it's heavy

Alternatively, one day I'd like to make a flat plywood sheet trolley, the type with the hull shaped cut out, in combination with a custom pvc dry bag boat bag with a sleeve at one end for sliding the trolley into to use for hauling the kayak in it's bag. I'm surprised no one makes this :(

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm 
That also looks rather excellent, if as you say, I could pull the bag along on it. I think the bag in question is more holdall shaped than golf-bag/backpack orientation so might be more tricky.

Please do make what you are suggesting! I will be your first customer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Klepper has a cart, the 'Foldy' that configures like a handtruck to carry the bags and then a standard cart to carry the assembled boat. It looks a little awkward though - especially when in boat carrying mode. It's also pretty expensive. Here's a link but maybe you can find some better pics.

http://www.klepper.com/en/equipment/boat-carts.html

I have the standard Klepper cart, actually two of them and I like it a lot. I've carried my bags on this by simply strapping the canvas bag down first and then putting the sticks and ribs on top of that. You balance the whole rig and push or pull it with the stick bag. Not perfect, but it works. Just make sure you have line or straps to tie it all together. The cart works great for the built boat and folds really flat. It's worked fine on short beaches but I've never had it on a really soft beach. The only problem with this cart is that it doesn't have a 'kick stand' which Greg's has. That is very important for loading the boat when coming out of the water. A piece of PVC pipe should solve this easily... I think. I haven't gone there yet as I'm still using a big plastic tent stake on mine. Anyway, it's a good cart as I think Greg's suggestion is.

My best cart though is a cart I made from a discarded jogging stroller. I made it from a double stroller that has 16" or 20" wheels. It won't fold into the boat, but boy is it a joy to use when pushing the boat around a campground or other spot where you can carry it in the car. You don't have to bend your back to push the boat and I think those big wheels will roll over anything. In the US jogging strollers cannot be resold because of liability, so you can find them at dumps and dumpster day events. Find a single with smaller wheels, think about it for a day and then start drilling out the rivets and reconnect the tubing in a shape that will carry the boat. It's pretty easy to do this and still maintain the folding capability of the cart. The wheels pop off and if you are lucky a narrow one my even fit in the boat. My .02ยข

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:20 am 
Thanks D. I think this Foldy is the same as the Eckla, and it looks pretty good for the bag, less perfect for the boat, and expensive as you say.

I'd like to think I could make something out of discarded bits, but hmmm, in reality I'd probably wish I'd bought something!

I found a photo of the Navigator in its bags being transported on the assembled-boat-trolley pretty much as you've described (7th photo down http://kilian.atelier-zagel.de/blog/) and it looks quite practical but possibly not 'tidy' or compact enough for public transport (which is maybe unlikely to happen anyway but I'd like to have the option of taking it on the metro).

My partner is getting a 2nd hand FC which is complete with their pack-trolley so I'm going to wait and see whether it works for my bag too as it appears very minimalist, though I think only suitable for the bag, I don't think it converts to carry the assembled boat.

A complete baby pushchair would be perfect for the bag on paved surfaces, though I might look a bit barmy with my unusual 'baby'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Grian, I have a Klepper Foldy which I no longer need, and I'm trying to clear some clutter. If you would be interested in buying it, or to know more about it, please PM me and we can discuss it further. I'd be thinking in terms of one third the current price (whatever that is) plus postage. (Despite my username, I am now living in Dumfries.)

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 am 
Thanks Mary

Have pm'd you, that sounds ideal.