Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm 
recent arrival

Hello,

I am looking at getting myself an inflatable kayak for all the traditional reasons.
It will be a tandem boat for me and wife to have some fun in rivers and lakes.

I know about inflatables not liking windy conditions but I am wondering if weight would improve the boat performance in windy conditions?
Im thinking that 100lbs of weight will not sink the boat as much as 400lbs of weight on the boat which means the boat will be gliding over a larger volume of water.
Am I too far off?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:46 pm 
faltbootemeister

That's pretty much it I think. I'll just add that in my opinion, and experience, the effect of wind on inflatables is greatly exaggerated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:54 am 
forum fanatic

Hi, I never took inflatables seriously until a Canadian dude turned up in my Kayak Shop many years ago, and asked about paddling in area (upper New Zealand).
Told him we had a Club day trip planned next day BUT it was forecast 20+ knots and rough. He reckoned "no problem".
I was rather sceptical.. well it turned out he not only beat us all down wind, but also up wind to my amazement.
Have had a healthy respect for Blow up Boats ever since.
Ensure you use spray deck in strong wind to prevent wind pushing against "inner leeward side" of boat, otherwise it will induce leeway drift with wind on beam. Canadian style canoes suffer this effect.(solved by putting Trash Bag decks on with duct tape).
Bear in mind they are very buoyant and carry weight very well. Mine does not seem to "squat" like the folding boat. BUT it does flex more..
Common sense DOES of course prevail as with any boat.
I have a Incept (NZ) Tasman 1 which am paddling along with my F.C. K1 around Fiji waters at present time. (based on my sailboat) and yes, it really is paradise..
I paddle them like a hard shell and just love getting in close and shallow, that is where it is for me.
Modern fabrics are TOUGH.
Jeez, what a long winded answer to a short question... :D