Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:12 am 
faltbootemeister

Is there anybody who uses Seals neo/nylon spray skirts on a Klepper Aerius II? What size?

Thank you.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:24 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Apparently REI and EMS both carry them. If they have them in local stores I could take my spray deck down and see if they fit. Wouldn't exactly be a great test of how they are to use though. You might give the 'Small Boat Shop' in Norwalk a call. They might know if these will fit and how well they work. They are quite familiar with folding boats.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:20 am 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Apparently REI and EMS both carry them. If they have them in local stores I could take my spray deck down and see if they fit. Wouldn't exactly be a great test of how they are to use though. You might give the 'Small Boat Shop' in Norwalk a call. They might know if these will fit and how well they work. They are quite familiar with folding boats.

d

Thanks, Dennis. Neither REI, nor EMS, has any spray skirts in stock.

I will try to find Small Boat Shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:12 pm 

I think there's a pretty big kayak shop in the city as well. I don't know what there inventory is like but it might be worth giving them a call if you haven't already done so.

I'm near the Norwalk REI, and Stamford and Danbury EMS stores... just in case.

I'm also close to the Wilton Outdoor Sports center... if you make the calls, I could go check it out. Just let me know. I doubt the Small Boat Shop has them in stock because I was there the other day and there inventory is low. But one of the owners has a Klepper and I wouldn't be surprised if he's tried some different skirts on it. Rick is the owner I'm talking about... Gaton who's been in the shop more often than Rick lately is very knowledgeable as well.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
I think there's a pretty big kayak shop in the city as well. I don't know what there inventory is like but it might be worth giving them a call if you haven't already done so.

I'm near the Norwalk REI, and Stamford and Danbury EMS stores... just in case.

I'm also close to the Wilton Outdoor Sports center... if you make the calls, I could go check it out. Just let me know. I doubt the Small Boat Shop has them in stock because I was there the other day and there inventory is low. But one of the owners has a Klepper and I wouldn't be surprised if he's tried some different skirts on it. Rick is the owner I'm talking about... Gaton who's been in the shop more often than Rick lately is very knowledgeable as well.

d

Thanks again, Dennis.

Basically, I am a bit puzzled by their sizing system. What's the difference between a 1.4 vs 1.7 vs. 2.something?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm 

No clue. I'm going to try and swing by the Wilton shop for something else tomorrow or Friday... I'll see if I can find out.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:52 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
No clue. I'm going to try and swing by the Wilton shop for something else tomorrow or Friday... I'll see if I can find out.

d

Thanks a million!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:21 pm 

DN, here's where I'm at... Went to the Outdoor Sports Center in Wilton, CT today and checked on the Seals size. I went to the shop with my wife's birthday purchase in mind so I didn't think to take my spray skirt with me... sorry for that but my wife will probably appreciate the lack of distraction... ha.

First, these are nice skirts. I might get one myself once we determine the size. To make a long story short I'm going to take my LH spray skirt in and see which size skirt fits on it. Now, I am assuming you are interested in the same thing?

If not, I also emailed Seals and this is the response I got:

Hello Dennis, You may be correct. Please send us one low rez image of the cockpit, top down view (from standing over top of it) also a side view of the cockpit rim (close up). Then front to back and side to side dims as measured from outside edge. Then I can analyze and confirm size, if any, will be suitable. Thanks, Joe

Hi, I have a Klepper double with a spray skirt made for solo paddling. The spray skirt has a tunnel on it that I think I can connect one of your spray skirts to. How do I determine the proper size?

Thanks,

Dennis

I'll probably respond to the email before I get back to the Wilton shop. But who knows? One of the nice things about the skirts is that they have a draw string at the back to help customize the fit. The neoprene skirts I saw where a more tailored fit. Didn't see a neoprene version of the Seals Skirt.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 pm 
faltbootemeister

I ordered a 2.2 neo/nylon touring one to test. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

Thank you.

A.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:33 am 
forum fan

On a related but slightly different topic - has anyone tried one of these on a long haul commando or klepper aerius 2 (military spray deck) - if so, do they fit ok?

http://www.nrs.com/product/2267/kokatat ... -storm-cag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:07 am 

MND wrote:
On a related but slightly different topic - has anyone tried one of these on a long haul commando or klepper aerius 2 (military spray deck) - if so, do they fit ok?

http://www.nrs.com/product/2267/kokatat ... -storm-cag

I really like that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Meanwhile has anyone found a good solution to keep the spray deck tented up a bit to keep water from pooling on top of it?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

The Seals Extreme Tour 2.2 is definitely too large for the Long Haul Mk II Expedition spray cover...

Should I try 1.7, or 1.4 ? What do those numbers mean, anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:13 pm 

A, anything new in the size department?

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

No... Still working on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:34 pm 
faltbootemeister

There is hope for a custom made high quality neoprene Seals spray skirt that would fit our Long Haul/Klepper spray covers. Joe of Seals is indeed very helpful finding a solution.

I'll post any developments as soon as I make some progress.