Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:45 pm 
paddler

I bought a falbot at an estate sale in Memphis Tennessee. the original box was deteriorated but it looked like it had never been used. The son of the family having the estate sale showed up and advised that they did set it up when they first got it , but to his knowledge no one ever used it. it has a few scratches from laying around in storage and there is a little bit of mildew on a couple pieces , but overall it is in remarkable condition. such good condition that I believe what the son said was accurate. It was pricey , but I went ahead and bought it because I was sure that I could make a few dollars on it selling it over the internet.
Here is the dilemma. I got home and what I thought was the skin at the bottom of one of the boxes was actually burgundy seat cushions. I had a complete frame of a folbot folding kayak, However, there was no skin. I rushed back to the sale and search high and low. No luck finding it. The estate sale company did feel bad and refunded me some money, but would not take it back.
So I have two questions. what model is this. it is a little over 17 feet long and seats two people. it has metal poles , not wood.
Also is this worth anything as is or is it firewood? if so is it worth enough to go through the hassle of shipping it as an entire frame or do you think I would be better off getting my money back if I auction off individual pieces of it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

You, or the person you sell it to, might consider reskinning it using the techniques mentioned on the Yostwerks website. I have done the same with an old Tyne prefect and found it a rewarding project and not beyond my limited DIY abilities. It seems a shame to break up and dispose of a perfectly good frame.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:09 am 
paddler

Thanks for the info. I may just put it on Craigslist and see if there is someone local that will be interested In it to reskin. Any idea what would be a good asking price. It also comes with 2 sets of oars that look like they have never been out of their sheath/cover. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:49 pm 

Looks like a Folbot Super.
Yes, I see you dilemma. I would seriously consider your options. First, consider pressing the estate sale people hard for a full refund, since what you bought is no where near to how it was represented to you. I.e. a complete boat. Second, there might be a chance that the skin is either still there, or was sold with another lot, meaning it might still turn up.
Selling the frame: I would only consider selling the entire frame. Selling pieces will result in selling just a few pieces and being stuck with the rest. Value: Hard to say. You might list it on eBay as an auction, without reserve. Fire wood? No, not enough wood there...
Since the frame appears to be in such nice condition, I would consider making a replacement skin and using this kayak if that interests you.
But making this deal pencil out as a business proposition will be tough.

This post should really be in the Folbot forum...

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:06 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Agreed that this thread should be in the Folbot area. I wrestled with moving it, for a while, but couldn't get it to take (it's not the most user-friendly software, although it's been getting the job done for years). I need to sort it out sooner or later.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 pm 
paddler

sorry for posting. I am not a collector. I don't know anything about kayaks and before I bought this never heard of a folbot or even a folding kayak. I just was looking for some advice from people who I thought may be interested in it. I will try to change it to a different topic. Sorry guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:52 pm 

It's OK Quinn. Don't worry about where it is. We feel bad for you, and would offer a better way out if we could think of one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 am 

Quinn,

Your questions are certainly valid ones and you have a very nice kayak frame. No need to apologize!
You will certainly find advice here, even if it cannot always be a solution. And who knows, maybe someone would love to have your frame as a classy display piece in a store, restaurant etc. Maybe contact a consignment store too?

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 pm 
paddler

Thanks a lot. Will do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:56 pm 

Folbot has a forum as well that it pretty popular as I understand it. I'd bring the discussion over there and list the frame for sale on both forums.

Price wise...? How much did you spend? Consider that price plus a little bit? My guess is that if you found the right buyer that might already own a skin, you may get $200-$300 for a mint frame.

The earlier suggestion about keeping in touch with the homeowners or estate people in case the skin shows up is a great idea.

Go over to the Folbot forum, you might find more answers and possibly a buyer over there. Meanwhile, there is a 'For Sale' section in this forum as well.

If you package the frame pieces yourself, you should be able to ship it for around $65-$80. Ebay open auction would be my solution if all other avenues failed.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 pm 
paddler

Thank you for your time and suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:47 am 
faltbootemeister

I need frame pieces. I am in Jackson, TN contact me 731 415 8156

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:25 am 

S/he may no longer be checking the thread-- I suggest using the email button.