Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie needs advice.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:19 pm 
forum fan

:mrgreen: I did it -- I bought a PakBoat. Now it's just the waiting for the kayak and paddle to arrive. (Do you hear those fingers tapping?)

After figuring out how to assemble my treasure, I want to (before the weather turns colder) figure out how my husband and I can get back into the boat if we happen to flip it out in deep water. Any advice on the best method to avoid damage to the boat's structure?

Thanks all. Oh...where do I order a T-shirt?

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:27 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Congratulations! Did you get a Puffin Saranac or the XT-16 or XT-17? Knowing which frame style you have will help me give advice on self rescue. With the XT models you can use most of the self-rescue techniques that are used for any regular hard shell kayak because they have a very strong deck. The Puffins are not as sturdy on the deck but you can still adapt many techniques to them. I've owned an XT and currently have a Puffin and a Feathercraft (which is more similar to the Pakboat Quest series in frame design).

Some accessories you need if you will be paddling with a deck if have not already ordered them are sprayskirts and inflatable flotation bags to keep the hull from flooding. Harmony is one company that makes them. I hope you also ordered footbraces for the kayak, either the rigid one for the XT or the little inflatable one for the Puffins. Paddling is much more efficient with something to brace your legs against. You can rig something with foam pool noodles or PVC pipe and nylon rope or webbing temporarily.

I'll give you more tips once you have posted more detail of which model you have.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:33 pm 

I see via an earlier post that you chose a Saranac. Are you planning to use it mostly with or without the deck?

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 pm 
forum fan

Yes, I bought the Saranac. And the foot braces (I think). I tried to go through the list and order anything that was necessary. I bought the deck, but not spray skirts. I thought I'd try it without and then decide how much we really need, depending on what kind of weather we venture out in. It's my husband's first kayaking experience. I'm just hoping he loves it as much as I do.

I'm really excited about trying the Pacific Paddles. They are much lighter than my previous fiberglass one and seem well balanced.

I had wondered about flotation -- I'm trying not to go crazy buying everything, yet displacing any intruding water would be a good thing! Would appreciate your advice as to which ones to purchase. I wasn't sure.

So much to learn! Everything has changed so much in 40 years!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 am 

Models don't really matter in flotation bags -- just get fairly large ones that will effectively fill the spaces. Most of mine are Harmony, but any brand you can find cheap on Ebay will work. Being inflatable means they will shape themselves to the space anyway. Make sure to tie them with cord to the frames so they don't float out and away in a capsize and ALWAYS make sure you open the valves and/or release some of the pressure before leaving them out of the water on warm/hot days, car topping or storing. The same goes for the inflatable sponson tubes in your kayak. I once forgot to do that and had the seam blow out on a sponson in one of my Feathercrafts, which was a real bear to remove and repair since it was in a sleeve -- Pakboat sponson tubes are simple to patch.

Are you getting the Pacific Paddles from the guy in who makes them in Winters, California? I have one of his paddles too. Don't use it all that much since I prefer Greenland style paddles, but it is handy as a 3-piece breakdown paddle to travel with the folders.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm 

You can also bundle chunks of foam pool noodle to use as under deck flotation (the hard closed cell kind of noodle tubes that they sell in drug and variety stores for kids to play with in the water) I just picked up a bunch of the noodles on clearance for $1 each, common this time of year. They can be really useful for a range of paddling related jobs including padding roof racks, sticking a short chunk in each of your paddling booties after a trip to speed up air drying and you can even wrap a half of one around the back of your cockpit to provide lumbar support.

I even saw a video once where a crew built a kayak out of a bundle of pool noodles. Wasn't exactly a performance craft, but it did float.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:09 pm 
forum fan

Yes, Steve Wilce in California. It won't be our last paddle, I suspect, but a good starting place, hopefully. Gonna look for some noodles and bags. I guess it's just trial and error to see what combination works best? Would love to see the pool noodle float-craft video. That must have been fun! As soon as we know the boat passes the initial husband test, we'll look for more flotation.

Thanks for the help!