Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Staying warm
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 am 
forum fan

Yes, I have drip rings, however, no matter where I put them I seem to dump all the paddle water on my head. Technique??? Maybe if I could adjust the angle that I'm placing the paddle in the water? Changing my habits, whether bad or not, could be harder than buying a waterproof hat and making a spray skirt. Don't remember having this problem when I paddled before. I'm getting a lot of water in the boat. Think I need to adjust my technique, if I can.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

On your head? Hope I don't offend, but it does sound like technique-- to a point. Could also be paddle length (although I'm not sure whether the problem would be too long or too short). Without drip rings, your hands would be soaking. But (in my experience) drip rings are much less than 100% effective at keeping water out of the boat. They mitigate, at best.

Are your rings slid out near the paddle blades? If you have the rings inboard of the gunwales, then they will drip the water INTO to the boat (yes, I had this realization one day... :oops: )

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I have an older Puffin -- the cockpit is the same as on your newer one. You need not worry about exiting the boat or "entrapment" by a spray skirt. A normal nylon touring skirt with bungie elastic on the perimeter does not fit tightly enough to be a problem. In fact, in a capsize situation, your weight and the buoyancy of the PFD will cause you to fall out of the boat and the sprayskirt will usually just pop off from the shift in weight or the slightest movement of the body. In fact, unless you are using a rubber rand type neoprene skirt on a hard plastic boat coaming, the main struggle in a capsize is trying to stay inside the boat so your can roll -- it takes deliberate bracing with your knees and thighs to stay in the hull. If you relax you literally just fall out. With the large sponsons in the Pakboat, even if you flipped 180 degrees, the boat would stay on the surface and you would fall out and easily swim or float free.

You will definitely be happier with a sprayskirt, especially in cooler and windy weather. Look for the simplest type or make one. I have a bunch of boats (5 at the moment and as many as 7 in the past) and numerous sprayskirts, but my favorite that I use on virtually every one of them is a basic Feathercraft cordura nylon one that has a simple plain deck and drawstring chest tube with 1" nylon suspenders with nylon buckle clips and a bungie elastic fitting around the coaming. It fits snugly enough to keep waves and drip out but easily pops off when I want to get out. In fact I just brace my hands on either side of the cockpit and push up as if I had no skirt on at all and it pops up and stands up with me.

I have all the range of cold water clothing, from Hydroskins and shortie and full wetsuits to a Kokatat drysuit. But I find the most comfortable and versatile outfit for Fall and Spring paddling is Goretex paddle pants and a lightweight Goretex splash jacket with various synthetic insulating layers beneath, depending on the temperature, plus short neoprene dive booties. Glacier gloves with the flex fingers are great for cold water -- they are solid molded neoprene and only cost about $20. Since you are a practiced seamstress, you could make your own shell pants and jacket. Seattle Fabrics has some good patterns for them. I would use Goretex (which is often cheaper on Ebay than from Seattle Fabrics), seal the seams with Aquaseal or other liquid paint on sealant, and make wrist, ankle and neck closures of neoprene with velcro tabs to make them snug. The dive booties run around $30 to $40. I like the Deep See brand side zip ones. Easy to put on and take off and have a sturdy sole that is surefooted.

On mild days I will wear knee length stretch poly workout type pants and similar tee shirt under this. if I get too warm I just take off the splash top. On colder days I will wear long stretch polarfleece layers beneath. And I usually add a pair of neoprene diver sox under the booties for a little extra warmth.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Don't know if the size would fit you, but Sierra Trading Post has a few men's size large Kokatat Tropos breathable waterproof paddling pants on clearance for $24.95. I have their Tropos light paddle jacket and have found it very useful over insulation gear in windy or rainy conditions and it packs down very small when not worn. I ordered a pair of the pants yesterday -- though I have the heavier NRS Goretex paddle pants I think these lighter ones will be handy, especially over the hydroskins or a wet suit. They also have some Stohlquist hooded paddle jackets for $70. You could hardly buy the materials to make these ourself at those prices.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15