Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:30 am 
faltbootemeister

Will a Folbot sailing rig work on a Klepper? Can one make a sailing rig? My Klepper doesn't haven one, and I wonder how I might get one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:36 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Overland,

Making a sail rig is a real art, especially sewing a proper sail. But it has been done. Don't know about Folbot fit. The two most popular full sail rigs are the Klepper S2 and the Balogh Batwing. Both can be a lot to handle in big winds, most will not sail them without amas. You should also take a look at the Kayaksailor, it fits your Klepper and does not need amas.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:43 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Almost any rig will work. I have used Pacific Action, Kayaksailor, Klepper S2/4, and sailed with only using the Klepper jib on it,s own, or the main on it,s own, I have a custom Lateen, I have a Triton, not yet used, and a special Flat Earth (if it turns up after my move from Canada, i had problems rigging it). But only Klepper sails will fit "straight out of the box". It can take some time to figure out how to fit the sails but we folder people can always come up a way. Generally if the wind is too strong for me to paddle into it and make progress i don,t sail as i might finish up a long way from home and not be able to get back. I always use outriggers and for the Kayaksailor a longer lee board than the two supplied by Kayaksailor is better, Pacific Action don,t have lee boards, but to stop being blown downwind on a "reach"a lee board is needed. If you want to make sails then there are designs and i think "sailrite", but you need an industrial sewing machine or a heavy duty one, other members with the knowlege will clear this up in the sailing section.