Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Nice picture Chris!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:20 pm 
forum fan

Dennis, I would absolutely consider deploying a drogue off the bow to ride out a squall that was otherwise threatening to upset the boat. I think it would be a very secure way of maintaining control. Once I experimented with one, it became standard equipment on my kayak. However, the key would be having a long enough line to attenuate the swell and allow the bow to ride over waves rather than punching through them.

I've never tried trailing a warp in a following sea. I'm not sure how much effect it would have. Yet I'd be hesitant to trail a drogue; I think that would slow you too much and the rudder would be trying to slam back and forth as waves passed. You'd also have to have it set up in advance off the stern, as you'd want the line running through the stern grab loop. Tying it off only at the cockpit would be disastrous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:11 pm 
faltbootemeister

John Voss is perhaps THE expert on the use of the sea anchor.
Mind you he sailed over 100 years ago. But he claimed and proved that you can ride out almost anything with a properly deployed sea anchor.

I've read several accounts of sailors trying to ride out rough seas by trailing a warp and they universally agree it's not very effective. The sea anchor is the tool of choice if you can't paddle home.
It must be sized correctly for the boat and must be fastened to the boat in such a way that it won't pull the boat apart. The forces involved are pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:35 pm 
forum fan

Quote:
It must be sized correctly for the boat and must be fastened to the boat in such a way that it won't pull the boat apart. The forces involved are pretty impressive.

That's a very good point. On my fiberglass kayaks I used a solid deck cleat bolted through with a backing plate, with the line then running out through the bow loop. Not sure yet how I'll anchor one on the Klepper.

You don't need a large drogue to keep a kayak pointed upwind. Twenty inches is plenty. A smaller one would probably still do the job while putting less strain on the attachment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:51 pm 

Great info guys thank you.

I set up a trolley system that runs bow to stern. A loop in the line allows you to snap a line onto the trolley very easily with a carabiner and then move the line to bow or stern very easily. It's a little off-center... which may or may not be an issue. The ends of the loop are secured to the bow and stern handle 'irons' with simple blocks. I think if you ran the 'anchor' line back up to the cockpit (from the bow for example) to some sort of cleat arrangement connected to the coaming you'd be in good shape.

You would definitely want a solid anchoring system at the cockpit and I'm not positive how that would best be set up. Seems to me you'd want to take advantage of the coaming and it's attachment to the frame

I never heard the term 'warp' before. I like it. Are there parameters for a length of line to be considered a 'warp?'

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:44 am 
faltbootemeister

If my memory serves me (which is open to question :) ) something on the order of 10 fathoms for a 30ish foot boat. All my info comes from books on sailing solo on the major oceans.
Slocum
Voss
Hasler
Chichester
Davison
Graham
etc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:17 am 

Here's that video of Mark's drogue/sea anchor setup. Seems like it could be easily converted to a forward deployment as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSU9a4h2eiw

Thoughts?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:47 pm 
forum fan

Wow, that is impressive. More sophisticated than the old Boulter system. I don't see any reason it couldn't be converted to front deployment.