Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:32 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I have heard that some folks who travel with their folders extensively have used hardshell cases for them (like large Pelican boxes or the oversized hard plastic rolling suitcases.)

Unfortunately, the increasing restrictions on "oversized" luggage and the fees charged by the airlines is making that less of a realistic option. I just bought the largest rolling suitcase I could find that met the "62 unified inches" limit for standard $25 extra bag fees. This means 18" wide, 12" deep and 32" high. I have been working to fit an entire folder and the necessary gear (PFD, paddle, skirt, float bags, seasock, pump, etc.) in this volume. I think I can do it with the smaller Pakboats but I doubt the bulkier Wisper will fit. Considering its value, I will have to be willing to pack only the boat in the sturdier case and resign myself to paying for the additional bag charge ($70 round trip) to carry the accessories separately.

In some cases where I am going to be at a destination where I have the option of sending a package ahead, I have actually mailed the boat in a reinforced box. UPS and even the US mail are easier on packages than the airline baggage handlers.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:35 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Jeremiah, maybe I will have to invest in a rolling rib if the bent stern bar doesn't fit the frame anymore. I don't recall it having the same issue as the bow bar after the damage was inflicted (I absolutely could not lock the bow deck bar into the rib ahead of the coaming, which made the whole bow floppy and downpointing.)

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15