Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:09 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I've flown in the past with my Feathercrafts in their backpack bags and a separate duffel with PFD and clothing. I'm taking a trip next month to Lake Tahoe with a friend my two smaller folders (Pakboat Puffin Sport and Quest 135). With the increases in charges for extra baggage since my last such trips I'm trying to pack everything we'll need in one bag each.

I was able to get the Puffin, a 4 piece paddle, some dry wear, sprayskirt and flotation bags into a friends large rolling duffel, but there was not enough room for a PFD which we will have to cram in our carry-ons. Last night I picked up the largest rolling bag I could find (fortunately on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx) that made it under the 62" combined dimension restriction for standard bag. It seems to be just slightly larger than the bag the Quest came in so I'm hoping I can squeeze everything one paddler needs in that one. I also have a collapsible Samsonite dolly that I could use alternatively with the big Feathercraft backpack bag (since the Wisper is not coming with us). But then I have to worry about stashing the dolly in the bag as well before checking it.

This project made me wonder how other folder owners handle flying with their packed boats. Any useful tips and cautions for packing and dealing with airport baggage handling?

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm afraid I use really big bags for flying my kayaks around so can't be much help there. However, after my brand new extra large dry bag got cut badly by the ends of my Fujita's frame tubes on the flight from Italy to Sri Lanka, I would really recommend wrapping something around the tips of any frame tubes that don't have plastic button tips

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:06 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Fly Southwest, Alaska Air or Air Mobility Command

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 am 

Already got cheap tickets to Reno on American. So I guess I should not whine about having to pay extra baggage charges. Appreciate the tip on padding sharp frame parts. I'll stick the dry bags in outside pockets or in my carry-on to be on the safe side.

It looks like the biggest rolling bag under the 62" unified measurement (18" x 12" x 32") may fit even the Wisper and most of the gear once judiciously folded and layered (the standard FC backpack is 18" x 10" x 37" but since I don't have the old-style solid coaming I can go shorter.) I snagged a Samsonite collapsible luggage dolly with a 70# rating from a TJ Maxx clearance table (for $16) that I could use with the FC pack too and hope the airline doesn't get pissy about the extra 3".

Though with the water temp at Tahoe reported at 43 today, I've been wondering if it's just plain folly to take the kayaks anyway this early in the season. The dry gear is proving to be as bulky as the boats to pack. Maybe we should just stick to hiking and photography this trip. Would certainly simplify packing.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:11 am 
faltbootemeister

Don't be afraid to admit that the hassle of gearing up for cold weather paddling via airplane is perhaps more than it's worth.
I've paddled in that kind of weather and found it really fun
But
I went to the water via car so hauling all the extra cold weather gear was no big deal. The hassle factor was essentially nil.
The bulk of the dry gear could make the airplane thing a real pain in the neck.

Go for what's most fun with least hassle.
Bring back some great hiking pictures for us to enjoy.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:43 am 

By mid May, people are usually swimming in Tahoe. If you really feel the need for a drysuit, you can rent from Tahoe Eco Sports/EnviroRents in Kings Beach

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:04 pm 

Good idea, Chuck. I'll give them a call. I really would like to have the option to kayak, especially around Emerald Bay, and the kayak concessions don't open until Memorial Day apparently (and I don't care for the usual sit on top liveries anyway.) But packing my own dry suit is proving to be a hassle and I only have semi dry wear to loan my friend -- I have 3/4 mm wetsuits we could both wear but they are even bulkier to pack. Perhaps the drysuits seem like overkill to you, but with just the two of us, and her a relative newbie to paddling, I'm concerned an assisted rescue if one was needed would be time-consuming and therefore result in extended immersion. We would likely stay along the shore and not attempt any wide crossings. But cold is cold, even 20 feet from shore.

Since you've lived at Tahoe, I do trust your experience. Hard to believe many people swim in 40 to 50 degree water -- are the surface temps a lot higher then? And is the southern part of the lake warmer than the northern in general? We're staying right on the beach in Tahoe City.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 pm 

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Good idea, Chuck. I'll give them a call. I really would like to have the option to kayak, especially around Emerald Bay, and the kayak concessions don't open until Memorial Day apparently (and I don't care for the usual sit on top liveries anyway.) But packing my own dry suit is proving to be a hassle and I only have semi dry wear to loan my friend -- I have 3/4 mm wetsuits we could both wear but they are even bulkier to pack. Perhaps the drysuits seem like overkill to you, but with just the two of us, and her a relative newbie to paddling, I'm concerned an assisted rescue if one was needed would be time-consuming and therefore result in extended immersion. We would likely stay along the shore and not attempt any wide crossings. But cold is cold, even 20 feet from shore.

Since you've lived at Tahoe, I do trust your experience. Hard to believe many people swim in 40 to 50 degree water -- are the surface temps a lot higher then? And is the southern part of the lake warmer than the northern in general? We're staying right on the beach in Tahoe City.

Tahoe City is on the NW shore. Water temp is already about 50. You can always wear your drysuits through airport security and stow them in the overhead bins.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 pm 

If you bring 2 bags each and split the load, you should be fine. Just pay the extra bag fee. It would be cheaper than renting gear. Or mail your gear ahead

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:01 pm 

After fiddling around some more today, it appears I can get everything into 1 medium and 2 large bags that would have to be checked. That's $85 each way. Since single day kayak rental is $75 and a drysuit is $45 per diem (not to mention the time hassle of picking up and returning them) cost-wise the baggage fees are a no-brainer.

Guess I would rather have the boats and not end up using them than get there and regret leaving them home.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 pm 
faltbootemeister

Your post/question touched a sensitive "nerve"... :)

It depends where you're going, for how long and what you plan to enjoy doing there. Two years ago we took a Long Haul and all the food and camping gear needed for an independent paddling trip on the east coast of Greenland. Winter clothing and tons of gear that had to be divided into heavy duty hard shell containers and shipped a month before the trip... Not sure you may like our solution.

Many times, bags seem to invite problems, from theft of small items stored inside, to damage caused by mishandling.

Folders seem OK on most airlines when one has no need to carry additional expedition gear for cold/remote conditions.

As much as we love and worship our U-Boat (Long Haul yak), this summer we'll leave the beloved folder at home and try to find/rent most of the gear locally at destination just because we want to avoid the logistics needed to ship it to a remote destination.

We decided to use the folder only for driving destinations.

Sorry, I just realized that my info didn't help you.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:37 pm 

Actually, I do appreciate your insights. I have read that people who take their folders on serious expeditions will tend to ship them ahead in hardshell locking cases. That is probably what I would do in a similar situation. In fact I often take the shipping option on vacation outings. I had a lot of camping gear to use for an archaeology field dig out West that I volunteered for some years ago and I arranged to have a large duffel of the heavier and bulkier items boxed and shipped ahead via insured UPS to the small motel I was going to be staying at the first night in town. -- they kindly allowed me to do so and securely stashed the package in their utility room until I arrived And when I buy or collect a lot of stuff on vacation (especially books, fossils and geology samples) I will mail them from my destination before packing to head home.

This trip I will be experimenting with packing the kayaks in large rolling suitcases instead of the manufacturer supplied bags or backpacks. I think the frames of the bags will offer more protection and the zippers can be locked against baggage handler pilferage. Since we will only be day touring I don't have to pack all the camping gear.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:56 pm 

check this out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/287803-REG/SKB_1SKB_H5020W_XL_ATA_Stand_Case.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842384-REG/SKB_2SKB_R4916W_ROTO_MOLD_MEDIUM_STAND_TRANSPORT.html

Two of those and you could darn near take two boats splitting up the parts properly. How long are your longest rods?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
check this out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/287803-REG/SKB_1SKB_H5020W_XL_ATA_Stand_Case.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842384-REG/SKB_2SKB_R4916W_ROTO_MOLD_MEDIUM_STAND_TRANSPORT.html

Two of those and you could darn near take two boats splitting up the parts properly. How long are your longest rods?

d

I have two SKB, one for the skin, ribs, seats, rudder, leeboard, amas, all the camping equipment, PFDs, dry bags, kitchen, water dromaderies, and just about everything else. The second case is long and slender for gunwales, paddles, mast segments and akas.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 pm 

I was wondering if the cases were long enough for the frame parts... good to know. So are you generally happy with their performance and durability?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP