Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:35 pm 
faltbootemeister

Extremely happy. On the trip to Greenland, they took four cargo flights, different fork lifts, one helicopter ride, two boat rides, a rough truck ride from which they were, unfortunately, thrown to the ground by a lazy driver and they kept all the gear protected. They are scratched, a latch is slightly bent, the locks (not part of the cases) didn't make it through the full back and forth trip... :)

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:01 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Tahoe trip update: In the end, we elected to NOT take the folders and gear to Tahoe. My co-traveler on the trip is a novice and not a strong enough paddler for the kind of outings I like so it seemed like too much baggage and hassle for this particular trip. We rented for a half day instead.

As it turned out, my concerns about cold water were for naught. It was very sunny and mild while we were there and the shallower water along the north shore was so warm I was completely comfortable wading out up to my waist in water shoes and nylon pants. We had a nice half day paddle outing from EcoRents to Crystal Bay and back in a tandem sit on top (or rather, I paddled, she took photos).

I loved Tahoe and definitely plan to go back, next time with a boat and gear. It was a good scouting trip and we did a lot of hiking and covered the surrounding area with road trips from Virginia City to Kit Carson Pass to Truckee to Squaw Valley.

By the way, TChuck, Harry King of Erents says "hi". Your name came up when we were talking about folders and he forwarded me your "seal love" shot.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 am 
faltbootemeister

Excellent topic. A couple of times I have flown to and from Alaska to work at a National Park. I shipped ahead a large box but took the maximum allowable on board the aircraft. I wore cargo pants and a large parka with pockets stuffed full of dense items. I never had a problem with the airline. I wonder if a pfd could be worn onto an aircraft, then stuffed into the overhead or placed in one's lap?

A couple of years ago Ann and I flew from Anchorage to King Salmon and return with a Folbot Aleut and a Balogh sail rig. Alaska Air did not consider the bags oversize. I padded the bags with clothing and added items until each bag weighed 50#. I witnessed an airline agent in King Salmon heave the bags a few feet to clear an existing luggage pile. All equipment survived undamaged.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Strap all the frame parts together tightly so that they come out of the bag in one assembly. Otherwise you run the risk of having TSA inspectors destroy your frame, as happened to a Forum member several years ago. Not only did the TSA destroy enough of his frame that his trip was ruined, they claimed immunity from having to pay for the damage they did, and if I recall correctly, the baggage insurance company refused as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Good information, Michael.

I learned the hard lesson long ago that Federal security and customs agencies have NO obligation to compensate citizens for destruction of property, even if no contraband is discovered. 40 years ago I took a vacation trip to Ontario from the US with two friends, a couple who had just bought a very pristine vintage Jaguar touring sedan two weeks earlier, which we took on the trip. While the wife and I went to museums and hiked, the husband was driving around to car dealers buying parts for the Jag and for other British cars in his collection. When we were crossing the border back into the US, we were waved aside for further inspection (likely because the male member of our party had a long pony tail and beard). They ordered us out of the car, searched our handbags and began to dismantle the car. Within minutes we were informed that we were going to be detained because a cannabis seed had been found in the track under one of the car seats AND several pills ("p i l l s" is what I typed-- don't know why the site text autocorrect transposes this word to "poodles") which one of us was carrying had tested positive as amphetamine (never mind that they were prescription allergy medication in a bottle with the RX label on it.) We were then strip searched and made to sit on chairs 8 feet away from each other behind the customs counter for almost 3 hours while they continued to dismantle the interior of the Jaguar outside on the tarmac. We were terrified and people were staring at us as if we were the minions of the French Connection.

Fortunately, a senior customs office (who had been away at a meeting while his overzealous young agents were on this witch hunt) returned and challenged his officers as to why we were being detained. I overheard him reading them the riot act for not using a new testing kit they had which would have verified that our pills (there are the danged "poodles" again) were indeed the medications their label implied and he also reminded them that a single cannabis seed in the remote reaches of a vehicle was not grounds for a costly contraband search. He apologized to us and released my companions' vehicle, but explained that there was nothing they could do about the damage that was caused to it by the search and cautioned us that there was no legal recourse for any of it. The damage included interior panels pulled off in such a way that fasteners were broken or stripped off, burl veneers that were cracked and split and leather upholstery and carpet that had been sliced. They had also opened all the boxes of car parts and just dumped them willy-nilly in the boot.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

Last edited by KerryOnKayaks on Sat May 21, 2016 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:28 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

That is an infuriating story, to put it mildly. If you want to amplify your anger, google the term "asset forfeiture" (something that CBP and USBP use constantly). And with that, I am far too close to getting political in this forum, and will now back away from the subject.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:11 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Bizarre glitch on this forum with text "autocorrect". In my story above I was describing prescription tablets -- p-i-l-l-s -- which the customs police mistook for illegal drugs. But for some reason the site text editor converts the word "p i l l s" to "poodles"!!! When I open the text for editing it reads correctly as "p i l l s" in each instance but as soon as I close the post the word pops up as "poodles" again. Never had that happen.

And no, we were NOT smuggling contraband yappy little dogs.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:54 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

It did seem odd. Poodles are hypereactive enough as it is without pumping them full of amphetamines!! :lol:

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Ah... there's a translate table set up to remove offensive language and certain spam content, and I'm afraid it may be a little overzealous. I may remove that particular translation. But then again, I might not. Too much entertainment value ;-)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:52 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Aah, makes sense now. The filter is set up to convert spam to posts for "erectile disfunction poodles"? The mind boggles at that prospect......

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Bingo. I've removed that filter so you can say "pills" now but there are quite a few that have yet to be triggered.