Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:10 am 
paddler

It's been a while since I've been in the market for a folding kayak.

Back in the day (25+ years ago), options were rather limited.

I'm interested in some of the higher end models (or high quality, and lower pricing), but some of the names of various manufacturers are new, and/or unfamiliar to me. Want a new expedition kayak for one to two week trips, as well as for long weekends on the water.

Those I know of, I've listed below, with the presumed top quality ones being listed first, or near the top of the list, e.g.;

1. Feathercraft,
2. Klepper,
3. and Nautiraid.

I also see a new company I've not heard of before, e.g. Long Haul.

Does this company produce Klepper, and/or Nautiraid style folding kayaks?

How do they compare with the others mentioned above, in terms of overall quality, design, and price?

From the few pics I've seen, the Long Haul kayaks appear to look very similar to the Klepper kayaks, but I saw mention that they use steel fittings instead of aluminum ones. The design shapes from the two manufacturers look to me to be almost identical, but I haven't compared detailed length and width specs yet. Does that sound about right?

Are there other, high-end, folding kayaks I should be aware of, that make sea kayaks of similar quality to those manufacturers listed above?

It appears that some companies are no longer in business, e.g. Folbot. Saw mention that Nautiraid may no longer be selling in North America as well (not really sure about that). I'm located in the USA.

Other companies that are no longer selling sea kayaks in North America?

I'm in the market for a new single kayak, and want something that is durable, but funds are lacking right now, so need to do some research, while I save up for a new toy.

I really covet the new Feathercraft K1s, but have sticker shock on what they run now.

I have one of their late 1980s K1 models, and it is really great fun, but it would be nice to have a later model with the new, built-in coaming design.

I've always been interested in the Klepper and Nautiraid models too.

Any info you can share on other models from various other manufacturers, that I may want to consider, will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Long Haul has been around for quite a while. They produce what I think is a greatly improved Klepper type kayak, as well as some original designs, one of which Klepper copied. I've had a Long Haul Mk-1 for over a decade.

Klepper no longer exists except as a sales agent for boats made by Wayland in Poland. They're good boats, but not quite up to made n Germany Klepper quality.

Folbot is, sadly, out of business. Feathercraft boats are, as you say, expensive. Nautiraid distributors in the US come and go. Last I looked they were being represented by Chesapeake Light Craft, whose main business is wooden kayak and boat kits.

There's also Pakboats, who sell Chinese made boats in the same price range as Folbot, and Pouch, long made in the former East Germany and imported by Ralph Hoehn at pouchboats.com. You may also occasionally come across boats sporadically imported from Russia of Japan. A recent arrival is Oru, who make a clever origami-style boat largely out of heavy-duty Coroplast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:09 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Now that Folbot is gone (they might eventually return, but no one knows right now), I think Pakboats is one of the few remaining lower-cost manufacturers; perhaps the only one. While they're certainly not high-end, they're a great value. Depending on your size, they should have a model that will work well for you. The XT-17 is a highly capable expedition yak, though it's probably overkill for day and weekend trips unless you're a larger paddler.

Check their web site and/or give them call. They're good to talk with.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:35 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Feathercraft is still around, and still high-end.

Another Canadian (Ontario, I believe) manufacturer is Trak, who is actively manufacturing boats last time I heard.

The Japanese manufacturers, Fujita and Arfeq, are still in business.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

I don't have much experience with folding kayaks, compared to many other forum members, but when I had the privilege and joy to use one, I pushed its limits close to the breaking point... :)

I am still the proud owner of a Long Haul tandem. I will never sell it and I would not exchange it for any other folder currently on the market, including a Feathercraft, even you add $ 2-3 K, next to the Feathercraft... :)

If you want a boat that will take you places and back, out of the beaten path, with tons of gear, facing winds and choppy waters, the Long Haul is the boat.

And that is my biased $ 0.02

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:41 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

DoiNomazi wrote:
I don't have much experience with folding kayaks, compared to many other forum members, but when I had the privilege and joy to use one, I pushed its limits close to the breaking point... :)

I am still the proud owner of a Long Haul tandem. I will never sell it and I would not exchange it for any other folder currently on the market, including a Feathercraft, even you add $ 2-3 K, next to the Feathercraft... :)

If you want a boat that will take you places and back, out of the beaten path, with tons of gear, facing winds and choppy waters, the Long Haul is the boat.

And that is my biased $ 0.02

Cheers to that! Well said.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

I've owned three Kleppers, five Folbots, two Feathercrafts, two Nautiraids, and a Long Haul. I've tested several other boats. Right now, if I were looking for a boat for an expedition, or one that would last me twenty-thirty years or more I'd buy a Long Haul or a Feathercraft, and of the two, the Long Hauls are more field repairable and cost a lot less. You'll never have a Long Haul frame freeze up from corrosion, either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:07 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

And then there's something intangible but reassuring about wooden framed folding kayaks that you just don't get with alloy framed folding kayaks. It was way too big for me but I really miss my adventures with my Nautiraid Narak

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:48 am 

I'd looked into Long Hauls when I was considering an upgrade from my first folder (Feathercraft Kahuna) 10 years ago. But they are all so beamy! Minimum is 28" (some are as much as 36") and I felt the Kahuna, at 25", was a bit of a slug already. How does that affect the performance? They are certainly well constructed and light, with great features, but that width really gave me pause. I guess if you want a real freighter for expedition use or to use with a sailing rig, but I can't imagine they are very fast as an everyday kayak. But then, the name "Long Haul" may be a good indicator of what they are intended for.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:06 pm 

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
I'd looked into Long Hauls when I was considering an upgrade from my first folder (Feathercraft Kahuna) 10 years ago. But they are all so beamy! Minimum is 28" (some are as much as 36") and I felt the Kahuna, at 25", was a bit of a slug already. How does that affect the performance? They are certainly well constructed and light, with great features, but that width really gave me pause. I guess if you want a real freighter for expedition use or to use with a sailing rig, but I can't imagine they are very fast as an everyday kayak. But then, the name "Long Haul" may be a good indicator of what they are intended for.

I agree. While I like the aesthetics of the wood frame, it's significantly heavier than aluminum. LH yaks are a great option for serious expeditions when stability and durability is paramount, but they seem like overkill for day paddling and shorter touring.

If I wanted a true expedition folder, I still think I'd go with the Pakboats XT-17. Not only is it lighter, faster, and less expensive, but when set up as a single it has plenty of capacity for long, unsupported expeditions.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:04 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

You want narrow? The 18 1/2 ft. Nautiraid Narak is only 20.5 inches wide, will reach 6 knots in a sprint and is surprisingly stable.
Their original 80’s Greenland model was even narrower

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by siravingmon on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 am 
Site Admin

If you want high performance, go for a Narak or a Feathercraft Khats. But the Long Hauls aren't slugs. Drag is largely a function of wetted area, and dependent on how much of a load you're carrying. Compared to my old Klepper A-I, my LH Mark-I is slightly heavier, but once up to speed moves with similar effort, and it tracks a lot better. The LH Ute is a very light and nimble boat and goes together very quickly.