Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping costs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:44 am 
forum fan

I am thinking about buying a used klepper tandem kayak, but it is located on the east coast and I live in the midwest and am unable to go pick it up. I am relying on detailed photos and conversations with the owner to determine the quality of the kayak. But I will need to add on the cost of shipping to the asking price. Is there a big difference in shipping costs depending on which shipper I use? Does anyone have a preference in the shipping method to use? It will come packed in 3 bags. Any shipping advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mangoes

Folbot: 1998 Greenland ll

Post subject: Re: Shipping costs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:34 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

OH Man! You need to be very careful here.

Do NOT allow the sender to take it to a UPS store and have it packaged. The boat can be shipped in it's canvas bags but quality packing is necessary.

The best solution is to have the canvas bags packed as tight as possible and then wrap them with cardboard. Literally wrap the cardboard around the canvas and then tape the you know what out of it.

This sort of energy expenditure could be a hurdle for the purchase.

I purchased a boat across the country a few years ago and the gentleman took the boat to a UPS store for packaging. It cost me nearly $400 in shipping! For two boxes! Packaging and the additional cost of oversize boxes. Aaaaarghhhh! There is no recourse once it's done.

Meanwhile I shipped the same boat to CO a couple years after that and it cost me about $165 total for the same two bags.

Wrap the canvas tight, get it covered with cardboard if you can, and have it taken it to a UPS shipping center. That's the best bang for the buck.

Where's the boat at?

Good luck!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:11 pm 
forum fan

The boat is in Vermont and I'm in Nebraska. Thanks for your advice. I'll discuss the shipping options with your suggestions. Shipping could be a deal breaker if it is too expensive or the seller isn't willing to package it securely like you described. Also we haven't seen the detailed photos he said he'd take. Wish it was closer, but not many tandem folding kayaks in our region.
Mangoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 pm 

Ah, well unfortunately Vermont is a ways away from me. I had work up there a couple years ago but nothing currently.

If you find something closer to the NY Metro area I might be able to help you out.

If you are looking for Kleppers, don't get too anxious. There are many many out there and they come up fairly regularly. Just be ready to pay a fair price for a boat in useable condition and when the right one shows up you'll know it.

When you get the pictures and feel brave enough to share... there is a wealth of knowledge here about Kleppers and you might get some good advice and insight on whether to purchase or not.

Good luck,

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:15 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I've never paid as much as others are reporting to ship a folding kayak, which I have done 3 times in recent years as well as shipping bulky heavy boxes of camping gear and tools when I was flying out to work in the field and did not want the hassle and excess baggage charge on the airlines. Use the USPS shipping cost calculator app:.

http://postcalc.usps.com

I just checked it myself (since I keep it in my "bookmarks") and the cost to ship a 36" x 20" x 20" carton weighing up to 60 lbs (40 lbs wass what my last folder shipment in that size box amounted to) from Omaha, Nebraska, to Burlington, Vermont, is $123.42. Figure $10 to buy a sturdy box (the post office sells them though you can often get them free from electronics stores) plus a roll of tape and you are still under $140. Note that one large box is cheaper than two smaller ones. It costs $116 for the same point to point for a 20 lb box. UPS and other shipping companies are more costly than the USPS, in my experience. USPS has been very reliable and provided tracking. Of course, insurance costs a little more.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:58 pm 
forum fan

The seller quotes a shipping cost of $285 + a packing fee of $85. Which is too much money for us to accept to ship. He's using UPS. I'm afraid the photos he sent us of the hull and deck that we requested don't show a lot. He did not assemble the kayak to take pictures, it's just the loose skin so we can't tell how it looks all put together. No noticeable wear on it in the pictures though. He said he purchased it in 2009 and it was represented as being just a few years old and only used twice. He's only used it a few more times since then, so it's probably in nice condition, but we feel like we would need to check it out in person to spend $2000 for it. Just don't have a great feeling about it. If we lived closer, it would be worth driving up to check out though. I appreciate the helpful feedback. Thanks.
Mangoes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:19 pm 

I think you are wise to forgo this purchase. The price seems too high for a used boat that you can't inspect, and that shipping charge is really outrageous. For $2000 you could buy a brand new Pakboat XT-17 convertible tandem.

http://pakboats.com/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=51

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:34 pm 

Yeah, I'm with Kerry on this one. A few years ago I sold my Folbot Cooper. Free shipping was included as part of the sale; I shipped it from Seattle to NH via USPS. I just brought it the USPS counter packed in it's backpack. The weight was right about 40 pds. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was only about $50 via parcel post.

I know the yak you were looking is larger and heavier, but charging over $300 for packing and shipping seems excessive.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 am 
faltbootemeister

I let a UPS store pack and ship a Folbot GII and sail kit. Three boxes.
Way over $300 so never again.
Pack it yourself - packing tape and stretch wrap and lots of free cardboard.
Pad the sharp ends inside the bags.
And insure it. Pay the cost.
I've had UPS lose two packages and the USPS break one open and lose half the contents. All in the last three years after 35 years of trouble free service, shipping and receiving several packages a week. Insure it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:30 am 

Shipping a 100 lb wood-frame Klepper is completely different from shipping a 50 lb aluminum frame boat.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:20 pm 

Mangoes, send me a link via PM to the boat or post it here. I'm probably headed up to the Adirondacks for work again in a couple of weeks. If the boats not too far east I might be able to detour over and take a look at it for you.

I already have a '90s expedition AEII and a 2014 MK1... so I'm not in the market in case that worries you, ha.

Otherwise I think you made a sound decision to pass.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP