Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hitting rocks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:03 pm 
forum fan

Hello,
I have been sailing a folbot in a bay that i know well. Hence, i know where the rocks are. But, what happens when i venture into unknown waters? Ones where you don't know where the rocks are. With a folbot you could be in real troble. I have a plastic kayak that i sail. But, it can take running over rocks and even getting hung up on them. What do you do when going to unknown waters? Do you always get natical charts? But, even with these a lot of rocks would not show up on.
Joe

Post subject: Re: Hitting rocks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:34 am 
forum fanatic

We venture slowly in our Folbot! Never with charts. You will see rocks in a lite chop from quite a distance. Most of the time. They are our friends. They keep the power boats away!
Another good tactic is sailing in a group & always bring your tough tape along for the ride! Good Luck.

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:54 am 
faltbootemeister

You have to hit a very sharp rock very hard to puncture a Folbot hull.
Hypalon is very rugged and abrasion resistant.
That said, holing a Folbot hull can be done but you have to work very hard at it.
Carry a patch kit and sail on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I used my Aerius 2 for years paddling down rivers in Ontario, a lot of the sections were shallow with of course rocks, and in fast sections many rocks were below the surface, soon i coud "read the river" to know where the submerged rocks were. Yes the hyperlon hull got gouges which i aways patched but only on two occasions did i get a small hole. As a repair kit was always carried patching on the bank was easy. So there are not really any problems, remember it,s not that many years when all down river kayaks had "skin" hulls even in the olympics. They are probably easier to patch than a hardshell at the side of a river.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:33 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Folders tend to bounce off rocks or slide over them. Rough rock can abrade the hull coating but that is easily patched. I paddle a lot in urban rivers with old industrial docks and abandoned structures along the shorts and I've even run into rebar and steel scrap concealed under the water and never punctured a folder in 14 years of paddling them. I always have carried a patch kit with rubberized fabrics and solvent glue but never have had to use it in the field. The only punctures I have had to repair were internal to the boat: in both cases to an inflatable sponson. One was ruptured along the seam because I neglected to deflate it while transporting on my roof rack on a hot day (air expansion blew it out) and the other was when we assembled one of the Pakboats wrong and a frame part came lose and poked a tiny hole in one of the 6 parallel sponsons. We just deflated the corresponding tube on the other side of the boat and kept paddling, then easily patched it when we got home. I have also added a small roll of Eternabond tape made for sealing and repairing rubber roofing membrane. You can get it at some Walmarts (I prefer not to shop there) or order on line. I've used this stuff to seal the roof and structural seams of a vintage motorhome that I restored and it is amazing stuff, with a micropolymer adhesive that is virtually indestructible and can even be applied underwater. It has to be applied carefully because nothing will remove it. But if I somehow had a major tear or puncture while far from shore or home, I like knowing I could seal it up quickly and strongly with just the tape. Here is a link to the 2" wide tape I carry. I only carry a few feet of it (it has a peel off liner): http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.asp ... AlPY8P8HAQ

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:14 pm 
faltbootemeister

I've had my Feathercraft B. Kahuna for a long time so I know how tough a folder can be, although I'll admit that most of the time I paddle in the often friendly environment of the Potomac River and it's bays and tributaries. What's not so friendly is the "trash" that lurks beneath the surface, often abandoned duck blinds with their mix of construction materials. I'm always dreading that encounter with rebar but so far I've had nothing more than a minor nick. Given where you paddle Kerry, I guess I shouldn't worry about such things.

To add to Kerry's detailed advice, on the Feathercraft Blog ("Outside Hull repairs with AquaSeal") there are some good instructions on how to make a repair to the hull that also looks good. This might not be so important to some owners but if multiple repairs have to be made it could help with the looks and the resale value of the kayak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:18 am 
recent arrival

GrnMtns wrote:
We venture slowly in our Folbot! Never with charts. You will see the extenze posts rocks in a lite chop from quite a distance. Most of the time. They are our friends. They keep the power boats away!
Another good tactic is sailing in a group & always bring your tough tape along for the ride! Good Luck.

Yeah, let someone go ahead of you and find the rocks first. :D