The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shrunken skin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 pm 
recent arrival

Hi Folks

Hoping someone can help ....

Had anyone has issues with a modern made replacement skin shrinking to a large extent - upper deck is supposed to be French made Sattler canvas, and the hull is lightweight TPU?

Skin was made for a double seater Klepper (no sponsons). It appears that the shrinkage had occured when the skin was dried without being in the frame - subsequent assemblies got harder with the central keelboard having a large overlap to start with and taking hours to marry up the central keelboard and side ladders, producing a boat looking like a large banana (which eventually settles down once you paddle). Now after being in storage for several months, we cannot assemble at all as the skin has shrunk considerably.

We have tried wetting the canvas deck and leaving an expander clamp (pushing the two frame halves apart) in place overnights with very little gain.

Someone suggested spraying turpentine on the deck. Has anyone done this? If so, which type of turpentine would it be ? Plant based (extract from a tree) or the type which is an oil by-product?

It looks as though the TPU has shrunk as well.

Or is there another smart suggestion?

SYST Klepper Aerius I
Klepper Aerius II (520) with Wayland skin
NERIS Valkure-1
NERIS Valkure-2
TYNE SD15
TYNE SD17

Post subject: Re: Shrunken skin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:40 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Try soaking the whole skin overnight and assembling when wet

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 pm 
forum fanatic

I experienced this with a tandem Folbot, a company whose hulls were/are particularly susceptible to this problem. See past threads in the Folbot section. Soaking the partly-assembled boat with water, and partially filling it eventually overcame the frame's resistance to the tightened skin. Klepper skins are not normally susceptible to shrinkage during storage, but yours may be prone as I believe you mentioned that it's a replacement. Once you've coaxed the frame into the skin and overcome the floor-boards' innate tendency to pop back upwards (as I said, soaking down with water, and strategically placing buckets of water at trouble spots if necessary), you might just consider the option of storing your boat fully assembled. Yes, to do so contradicts one of the crucial rationales for owning a "folder" in the first place. If worse comes to worst, Folbot, (yes, a different, and now defunct company) did acknowledge a shrinking skin problem with some of its boats and published a guide (available somewhere online) on how to make minor structural corrections to the frame to accommodate the shrunken skin. Someone else here might know where to locate that thread dealing with the problem and its solution. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:24 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

When this happened to me in Northern Ontario in the winter the humidity was very low and after the humidity went up all was well.(a Folbot) But in England we don,t have low humidity. I.m curious on your list of boat,s your two seater is an Aerius 2 which has sponsons, what two seater do you have that dosn,t have sponsons?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:39 pm 
recent arrival

john allsop wrote:
I.m curious on your list of boat,s your two seater is an Aerius 2 which has sponsons, what two seater do you have that dosn,t have sponsons?

Its a Klepper TS2 - not all of my boats are listed, they come and go :-) Have others in my collection, which are incomplete in some way.

SYST Klepper Aerius I
Klepper Aerius II (520) with Wayland skin
NERIS Valkure-1
NERIS Valkure-2
TYNE SD15
TYNE SD17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:45 am 
faltbootemeister

martin2007 wrote:
. . . Folbot did acknowledge a shrinking skin problem with some of its boats and published a guide (available somewhere online) on how to make minor structural corrections to the frame to accommodate the shrunken skin. Someone else here might know where to locate that thread dealing with the problem and its solution.

The pre-1990 Folbots, in particular the Super, had occasional shrinkage problems. Those older skins were vinyl. Hypalon, the post-1990 skins, doesn't shrink under any normal conditions.

Here are the Folbot instructions for shortening the frame of a Super and other models.
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/M ... /bgf_6.jpg

If you want to try stretching the skin, do it on a nice, warm, sunny summer day.
Soak the skin thoroughly for at least a full day in the sun.
Don't force it or you may break something in the frame. Take it slow and easy.
Putting weight on the keel where the two halves come together can help. Just enough weight to put tension on the skin as water and heat help it to stretch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:48 pm 
forum fanatic

I have seen PVC, Hypalon and TPU mentioned here. All of those are coatings that are quite stretchy, and I don't think they have much to do with the problem that is being discussed. The real culprit is probably the woven substrate. Some skins have cotton. Others have nylon or polyester. Cotton and nylon can have shrinkage issues, and the cure may depend on which one was used in this particular case. Polyester is more stable, and we rarely see shrinking issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

I had the same problem with my old Kurrent, the light skin version, one of the first boats produced of that model.
The skin kept shrinking until it become impossible to insert the frame. Feathercraft stretched the skin the first time, but within a month or so it was back to being too short. Then two more times, they had shorten the frame by about one inch each time until the shrinkage wasn't a problem anymore.
They said they had never seen this happen before, to this extent. Usually any shrinkage was temporary and it was easily taken care by the frame.
My next kayak, a Kahuna made with FC's regular skin, never had this problem.