Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 am 
Greetings from Sweden!
I have been paddling folders for 20 years, mainly one of our Klepper AE-II's. They're slow, stable and sturdy and that had been great when out with the family.

For quite a while I have thought of getting a foldable single seater, and had been eyeing models from Feathercraft and Folbot. Obviously, those are no longer options.

Now, out of the blue I have received an offer to buy a used AE-I. I hadn't really thought of that model for one reason: Speed.
These days I am kayaking with people with rigid kayaks, and my preconception is that the Klepper oneseater will be significantly slower than the others.

Am I right? Or is the speed difference marginal in practice (we're all average kayakers)

I do like the generous cockpit and the loading capacity (typically, we're out on 2-3 day tours).

I'd appreciate your comments on the speed issue, as well as any other thoughts on the AE-I or suitable alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Ralph Diaz addressed this question in his book, The Complete Folding Kayaker. He said he had no problem keeping up with rigid boats, and thought that the flexible all had less drag than a rigid one..

My own experience is that whether you do or don't have a problem keeping up depends a lot on whom you paddle with. I paddled an AE-I for some time, and had no problem, but my paddling companions weren't experts and didn't paddle long, narrow, high performance sea kayaks. A lightly loaded AE-I has a low wetted area, hence low drag, and is easy to paddled at 2-3 Kt. It's when you try to push it fast that you run up against the limits of hull speed.

Can you take it out for a test paddle? My instinct tells me that if you're doing 2-3 day trips, no one is going to be pushing their boats at racing speed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 am 
faltbootemeister

I was off the Carolina coast a few years ago in a training session with a kayak club. My Feathercraft K-1 simply could not keep up with the hard shells. None of us were loaded, just out in the water. I paddled hard but they still had to wait for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. My K1 wasfaster than my AE-I, or any other folding boat I've owned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 pm 
forum fanatic

I paddle an AE2 soloized, a Tyne tandem soloized, and an AE1. The AE1 feels sluggish to me, especially compared to the sponsonless Tyne which I really like. The AE1 is a beautiful boat, however. Smallish at the feet, i.e around the rudder pedals which in my boat are of an ancient, barefoot-shaped vintage. Fast? No.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:05 pm 
forum fan

The Aerius I is indeed a slow boat, best suited for solo tripping where one is free to set one's own pace. But it is legendary as a seaworthy craft, having twice rounded Cape Horn, as I recall; another endorsement for its use by a solo paddler of adventurous disposition.