Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 MILES WEST SOUTH WEST
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The title is where the Scilly Isles are from Lands End England. If any anyone wants to give it a go, now is the time to sort it out for next year. It is still the UK so don,t expect sunshine every day, it can happen but no one knows when, so if camping is on the books have a good tent and if you have camped in the UK you know about rain. It rarely rains all day and quite a few kayakers come over, although I have never seen a folder. I have to admit I use my Triak although next year I want to get the Kleppers out, my neighbour used them when he was in the commandoes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi John,
Sorry I didn't make it in the end this summer. Still hoping to visit, hopefully some time in 2018.
Anyone tempted to go might be interested to know that the overnight sleeper train from London to Penzance, gets one in in time to meet the morning ferry. So one can leave London one evening and be in the Scilly Isles for the following afternoon.

All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:07 pm 

Yes I think the over night sleeper is the best way. It,s first class only if I remember correctly with nice seats or a sleeping compartment if that's preferred. It might sound expensive but it saves a night in Penzance which can be costly. The night train is slower than the trains during the day but if you are able to sleep it dosn,t matter. You can fly over to the islands from Lands end, it takes about 15 min, or from Exeter or Newquay if considering flying check about bringing your folder as the planes are small, some 8 seaters where you get weighed and they allocate the seats according to passenger weight, the big planes are twin otters about 14 seaters and no weighing. Getting to Scilly can be quite expensive, If anyone hasn,t looked these islands up they are very small, 5 inhabited by people, the rest by birds and seals the population is just over 2000, mostly on St Marys where I live, about 100 yards from the slip down to Porthcressa beach. This island has about 9 miles of road so there is plenty of walking along footpaths and lots of kayaking can be had. Not much in the way of night life, a few slide shows and the pubs, two of which put on a film night, one pub on St Marys and the pub on St Martins but these can vary. At the end of April, actually the first public holiday of the year, the World Pilot Gig championships are held and over 150 Gigs from various parts come and race, one usually comes from the USA. Right now probably all the accommodation for the Gig weekend in 2018 will be booked. To me it,s not very exiting. In photos it looks like the Caribbean with clear waters which it has, but the Atlantic is cold. Ian if and when I get my e-mail sorted out you can contact me, till then I can,t send or see any e-mails that might have come.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm 

There is a very good guide for visitors published each year which is like a book. It gives information on the islands and gives all the information anyone would want Some accommodation and the camp sites are listed. To obtain the guide look at www.visitislesofscilly.com. The guide of course is free. Hope to see some folders here next year.