Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Places: Chile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:15 pm 
Fjords seem to be a popular topic at the moment.
Chile: I was recently in Chile, sadly w/out my boat, but was very impressed with the Reloncavi Fjord, which I was able to skirt along on a dirt trek. On a map of Chile, find Puerto Montt, then follow the hi-way south to a ferry crossing at La Arena (Not Punta Arenas). This is the fjord. There's plenty of rural peoples that live on this fjord and rely on boats to get them here and there. Sea lions, porpoises, and Chile's black headed swans abound. Who knows, you might even see some penguins. This fjord is probably 30+ miles long and 5+ miles wide. There are quite a few Salmon farming operations here, -if you bought salmon filets at the supermarket recently they may have come from here.
While here, check out Lago Todos los Santos, and the Petrohue river that runs out of it. Careful about this river! It's regularly run by local tour providers, but has some obvious class V water in places. Other places of interest in this region would be the island of Chiloe, especially around Castro and the Chiloe National Park.
There seems to be a few hundred miles of wonderful adventure country from Chiloe, south on down to Puerto Williams, in well protected waters, that I have yet to check out. This region has numerous glacier bays, isolated villages and innumerous channels. It is regularly serviced by ferries or cruise ships. A word of caution on renting kayaks in Chile: The selection isn't worth writing home about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:12 am 
I finally have a few of my S.O's photos to post:

http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/Kaptains-Chile

Hope you find it inspiring! :)

Post subject: Baron
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:55 am 
Bomburst's motor yacht! But not the car he coveted :|

Seriously, I may need to hone my somewhat dull and aged Romance Language skills and pay beautiful Chile a visit. Thanks for the pictures.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Kaptain von Klepper wrote:
I finally have a few of my S.O's photos to post:
http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/Kaptains-Chile
Hope you find it inspiring! :)
Very cool. Loved the photos of the graveyard. Note: two "r"'s in surreal.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.